Thursday, August 23, 2007

Chocolate Covered Donut


(Chocolate Covered Donut, Pastelbord, Colored Pencils, Neocolor II, 6" x 6")

Update: August 24--I replaced the image I originally posted on the 23rd with this new photograph. I redid the donut drastically changing its highlight. In the old image, there was just a hint of highlight, and I think that was the reason I was not happy with the original photograph. I think the contrast is better now. What do you think?

This is the third time I have purchased a chocolate covered donut to paint. The other two never made it to the reference photograph stage--yummy! :)

I like to photograph my still life compositions outside on my patio in the early morning before 10am. I get the best photographs at that time. However, I haven't found an ideal place and time to photograph my finished paintings. I've tried indoors and outdoors at all times of the day, using lamps with special GE bulbs, using natural light coming into a window, etc. If any of you have suggestions, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Anyway, this is the best photograph I could get at this time. I will try to get a better photograph, and if I do, I will replace this one.

When I arranged this composition, I chose the blue plate just because I wanted to be different. However, I couldn't resist using my same favorite lace doily, which was placed on my same favorite blue fabric. The composition looked appealing visually, and I had fun photographing it. When I uploaded my images onto my computer and saw all the shadows, reflections and details, I was delighted and pleasantly surprised; then reality struck. This was going to be a pioneer painting and a learning piece for many new techniques. This piece definitely fits into the category of a documentation of my journey as an artist.

As you can see, I am still learning, and I'm sure you can find many faults with this piece. However, it was a joy to paint! In a year or two, it will be fun to look back at this time and see how much I have grown...that is my hope. :) Thanks for looking. Enjoy!

4 comments:

su said...

Ode to a donut!

I love the blue.... it works so beautifully! How do you like neocolors?
Su

Fannie said...

Thanks, Su. I enjoy working with the neocolors because of the speed factor. In addition to that, it gives me a choice: using neocolors makes my painting look like an oil painting; whereas, prismacolors or coloursoft without neocolors gives me a soft effect.

Did you try neocolors yet?

Thanks for looking.
Fannie

su said...

Yum! I like it both ways, actually.
The earlier version was sort of abstract in comparison to the new, highlighted donut. No, I haven't tried neocolors, yet. It's on my super huge to do list, tho!!
Su

Fannie Narte said...

Thanks, Su. I'm still working on knowing when my painting is done. Is it ever?

Let me know what you think about Neocolors after you have had a chance to play with it.

Thanks for looking.

Fannie