Friday, August 3, 2007

Cup with Grapes

(Cup with Grapes, Pastelbord, 8" x 10")

In May of this year, I attended three colored pencil workshops offered by artist and organizer, Ann Kullberg, aboard the Sun Princess during an Alaskan cruise. One of the classes was taught by Nicole Caulfield. Ampersand Pastelbord, a sanded board, was our ground for her “Cup with Grapes” image. This was my first attempt at using a sanded surface. The application of pigment was quick, and I was excited about its speed factor. I like the texture and soft effect produced by this ground. It took me about two weeks to complete this painting, and I immediately began playing with my own composition for my next Pastelbord painting. That painting is “Different, but Same.”

Ann Kullberg is offering another Colored Pencil Cruise on the High Seas. It is a seven-night Mexican Riviera Workshop Cruise aboard the Dawn Princess which sails November 4 to November 11, 2007. Three nationally renowned artists are scheduled: Ann Kullberg, Anne deMille Flood and Cindy Haase. Tremayne and I are booked. Come join us.

SCHOLARSHIP
Last night was a pivotal moment for me. I received the Samuel E. Roach Scholarship, an academic scholarship that honors the Collin College Board of Trustees' service and commitment, in a Scholarship Awards Ceremony. In 2003, I returned to college as a non-traditional student to pursue my degree in Fine Arts. This scholarship will help me further my education and help me realize my goal of attaining a degree in Fine Arts. I'm grateful.

DISCOVERY FRIDAY

Jennifer Maestre is an artist who creates sculptures, jewelry and ATCs using colored pencils. This is one of my two colored pencil pendants made by Jennifer. Her work is unusual, unique and fun. Her pendants are for sale on Etsy.com.

4 comments:

su said...

Hi Fannie! Congrats on the Scholarship! Waa hoo!
I wish I was going on the cruise, too!! I am green (like the color in your pendant!) with jealousy..........
su

Fannie said...

Hi, Su,

Thanks for the congrats.

I wish you were going on the cruise, too. You're descriptively funny. :)

Nicole Caulfield said...

Fannie your grapes turned out FANTASTIC! Thanks for emailing me and for the mention in this post!! :-)

& a big congratualtions on your scolarship!

Fannie said...

You're welcome, Nicole. I enjoyed your class. Your handout was helpful in class and especially handy when I got home to complete my painting. You are a great teacher and amazing artist.