Friday, August 31, 2007

Remembering Diana

(Remembering Diana, Fabric Postcard, 4" x 6")

Recently there have been numerous media coverage about Princess Diana. Today marks the tenth anniversary of her death. This morning I watched "Diana's Thanksgiving Service" organized by her sons William and Harry. William and Harry both gave short speeches, but I particularly enjoyed Harry's speech because he described how his mother showed them love--by her actions and words. That is a simple but powerful message.

This postcard is going to Kelly of Wisconsin from my exchange group. It is machine embroidered using an image from a Dakota Collectibles embroidery software and embellished with crystals.
("I Wear My Heart On My Sleeve," Fabric Postcard, 4" x 6")

This quote by Princess Diana, "I wear my heart on my sleeve," describes what makes her unforgettable. Her imperfections, struggles, and flaws are what connected her to billions of people, including me. She was the Princess of Wales struggling with everyday problems like we were. Although living under a microscope is excruciatingly suffocating, it was the media's coverage of her personal life that made her the "People's Princess." Through technology, we were able to ride with her in her emotional rollercoaster and celebrate her joys and grieve her sorrows. She became our best friend, our sister, and our teacher.

Her life and good works are a permanent record of history. Because she wore her heart on her sleeve, she naturally responded with kindness and love to those stricken with diseases and those who were thought of by many as "unworthy." Most of all, by her life, she showed us that "love" is the answer to all questions.

This postcard is going to Sue of California. It is machine appliqued and embellished with heart buttons.
(Flowers for Diana, Fabric Postcard, 4" x 6")

Everyone grieves in their own way. Billions of flowers were left at the gate to the palace when Diana died. Many of us feed our sorrows. Sometimes I eat chocolate or ice cream when I'm sad. Then I realize what I'm doing and quickly make a change--like go shopping. Just kidding, ...or not.

An outpouring of love and sorrow was felt from the moment we learned of Diana's death. Ten years later, she is still lovingly remembered, and her life is thoughtfully celebrated. Her life was a definition of love. Because she loved, she is loved. Her wealth was not measured by the dollar, but by family and friends. Every time we show kindness, generosity, and love, we become richer.

This postcard is going to Victoria of Washington. It is machine embroidered using an image from a Dakota Collectibles embroidery software and embellished with crystals.

No comments: