Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Teachers--Art Quilt

(Teachers, Art Quilt, Crystals, 8" x 10")
SOLD

Teachers come in many forms: mistakes, life experiences, people, and books. My favorite teacher was my art and music teacher, Mr. Kekauoha--we affectionately called him "Mr. K." He taught me calligraphy and drawing, and he also taught me to play the ukulele and to sing. Mr. K wore many hats. He was also the boys' volleyball coach and one of three directors of our school's performing group called "Polynesian Fantasy." I was a member of this performing group, and we traveled to other high schools and nursing homes throughout the Big Island and Maui sharing songs and dances of Polynesia. In the summer of 1972, our group spent five weeks performing at a resort in Japan. At that time, he also accepted the role as guardian to twelve teenagers.

When I look back at that time, I now realize how influential Mr. K was in my life. I know that my experiences with him and the Polynesian Fantasy resulted in our family performing group. However, I did not realize that he was also a major influence in my passion for the Fine Arts.

Great teachers are people who share their knowledge and experience with students in a safe and nurturing environment, and who allow their students the freedom to explore. Thanks, Mr. K.

Teachers is another donation to the Alzheimer's Quilt Project.

Alzheimer's Quilt Project Update

Hurray! My first six art quilts have been posted on the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative's website. Go to the $1,000 Promise page, scroll down and click on my name; it will take you to my web page and show you my quilts. My goal is to complete a total of thirty art quilts before the Fall Semester starts, which is August 27. I am shipping another nine quilts to them this week--half-way to my goal.

2 comments:

Ku'ulei said...

I LOVE the journaling entry about this quilt. Thanks for being a "teacher" to me!

Fannie said...

We teach each other. Thanks for being a "teacher" to me! :)