Sunday, September 23, 2007

Double Hearts, Fabric Postcard

(Double Hearts, Fabric Postcard, 4" x 6")

The background fabric of this postcard is hand painted muslin using Neocolor II wax crayons. This is my first experiment using Neocolor II on fabric. Black fancy yarn is stitched in a double hearts design using zigzag stitching, and embellished with Swarovski crystals.

How I Used Neocolor II Wax Crayons on Fabric

First, I scribbled randomly placed lines of different colors of wax crayons onto a piece of 8" x 10" muslin, overlapping the colors in adjacent areas.

Next, using a fan brush and tap water, I blended the colors using long sweeping strokes across the fabric, and circular strokes over areas I wanted the colors to mix. It took about 30 to 45 minutes for the fabric to air dry.

Finally, I placed a sheet of wax paper over the right side of my painted fabric to protect my iron and heat set the fabric using medium temperature. After heat setting the fabric, the color is permanent. To test this idea, I ran the completed ironed piece under running water, and it did not bleed. Isn't that great?

What are Neocolor II wax crayons?

Click here to see a previous post about Neocolor II. Click here to see my artwork using Neocolor II. Click here for my simple Neocolor II Leaf Tutorial.

I have several projects in the works using this new technique on fiber. So many ideas, so little time. :)

1 comment:

Pattilou said...

I was searching the web to find out how to use neocolors on fabrics. I couldn't figure out why to use water soluble paints on fabrics. This short piece answered my questions beautifully. Thank you!