Saturday, September 29, 2007

Hand-painted Fabrics Using Neocolor II Wax Crayons

I'm having so much fun hand painting fabrics using Neocolor II wax crayons. I used several shades of yellow and several shades of green to paint this 8" x 10" piece of white fabric. I added table salt to the fabric while it was slightly damp to get the white specks throughout the piece.

This is a 4" x 6" piece of hand painted fabric which was fused onto Pellon Peltex 72 stabilizer, and it is the beginning of a fabric postcard. I used several shades of purple Necolor II to paint this piece of muslin. Salt was added about ten minutes after blending the crayons with water.


The following image shows the fan brush I use to blend my colors using water. The fabric was hand painted using all the available shades of blue Neocolor II wax crayons. Table salt was added while the fabric was still wet, compared to the yellow and green fabric shown above in which salt was added when it was nearly dry, or compared to the purple fabric in which salt was added when it was partially dry.
The possibilities of painting fabrics with these wax crayons are endless. Please note that I will only use these fabrics for fiber art that will not be laundered. I have not tested this technique for making quilts that may need to be laundered.

Click here to see my first project using Neocolor II on fabric, "Double Hearts, Fabric Postcard," my blog post dated September 23.

Click here for a simple Neocolor II Leaf Tutorial.

1 comment:

kev in tamlyn said...

nice hand coloring. I like it