Monday, September 24, 2007

Sunflower--Art Quilt

(Sunflower, Art Quilt, Neocolor II, Crystals, 8" x 10")

I painted a piece of white muslin using Neocolor II wax crayons to create the raw-edge applique for this Sunflower design. The white specks on the petals were created using table salt, which I sprinkled over my painted fabric while it was still wet. The center of the flower is outlined with two rows of yarns and embellished with Swarovski crystals.

My quilts usually have clean finished edges, including my applique work. This Sunflower was machine quilted leaving the edges frayed. This is a departure from my usual work, and I don't know if I like this technque. However, I was in the mood to experiment and try something new. The frayed-edge applique technique would be great to help create the illusion of fur in animals. I'm not sure that it works with this Sunflower, however. What do you think?

No comments: