Sunday, November 4, 2007

Inspiration

(Photograph of an Abstract Oil Painting from the Dining Room at the Sheraton, Artist Unknown)
What Inspires You?

A sound, someone's words, a book, music, children's laughter, an event, a celebration, loneliness . . . inspiration comes from allowing the senses to explore the world with a "third eye." The third eye sees without judgment or preconceived ideas.

Sometimes what I hear in conversations with my family is transformed into abstract images that only I can see in my mind's eye. Then I'll sketch that image onto paper and play with its composition adding a line here or a curve there, erasing, and resketching until I create a composition that expresses my idea. Most of the time my creations begin with a feeling, which is translated into a descriptive phrase. A sketch is made, and a medium is chosen.

This abstract oil painting reminded me of the process I go through as an artist. Inspiration comes by paying attention to what you hear, see, smell, feel, taste, and imagine. Create your next piece of art using your "third eye" and "see" what develops. Have fun!

3 comments:

morningDove said...

I love your inspiration. But most of all I love what your name means "free one". I finally found it in a baby book. No wonder you are such an inspiration.

Fannie said...

"Free one," that is an inspirational phrase. Free to be me, free to create, free to explore, free . . . nice.

Jacq said...

Thank you for sharing. I agree with morning dove, you are an inspiration!