Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mazatlan


We arrived at Mazatlan around 6:30am, and I watched the sun rise as we docked. After breakfast, we rode one of the shuttles that took us from the ship to the terminal. At the terminal, we took a taxi from the old town of Mazatlan to the new town of Mazatlan called the “Golden Zone.” The drive was approximately fifteen minutes, and the economic difference between the two areas was sadly noticeable.

The Golden Zone is a shopping area for tourists. Local merchants are humbly located in the alleyways between the more successful businesses. Mexicans are well known for their pottery, and I set out on a shopping mission to find that one special piece of pottery to commemorate this trip.

In one of the shops, I found artworks by an artist who cleverly used terracotta roof tiles as his canvas for his paintings. The shopkeeper explained that those art pieces were made by a man who was incarcerated, and those artworks were brought to her shop by that artist’s wife.

Artists join groups and organizations for many reasons, including the exchange of ideas, techniques, and artworks. We support one another through encouragement and significant feedback. In addition, I like to support fellow artists by purchasing their artwork, especially when I find those jewels among the wares from local merchants.

2 comments:

morningDove said...

I feel the same way you do about local artists in areas where I visit. Please post pic of selection from the artist. I love the posted pics. I am longing for my cruise to be here after reading this. thank you for sharing

Jacq said...

I'm so happy to read about your trip. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. There are always so many treasures to be found,and special ways to remember a trip. More pictures please.