Friday, November 23, 2007

Winter Wonderland--Fabric Postcard

(Winter Wonderland, Fabric Postcard, Crystals, 4" x 6")

"Winter Wonderland" is my first fabric postcard for Postcard Exchange Group #39 organized through Art2Mail. It is going to Marge of Pennsylvania.

It is a day after thanksgiving, "Black Friday," and many stores are competing for shoppers' dollars by offering bargain prices for their goods. "Black Friday" marks the beginning of the traditional Christmas shopping season in the United States. However, my mind is thinking "White Friday." It's cold outside, fifty-four degrees in my part of the country, and I'm anticipating experiencing the season through the eyes of my children and grandchildren. "Winter Wonderland" was inspired by my anticipation. I don't know what they will experience this season, but I hope they will see the beauty of nature, and I hope they will experience the excitement of surprises, and most of all, I hope they will appreciate the love that surrounds them.

I painted "Winter Wonderland" using Neocolor II on muslin, and sprinkled salt over the image while it was still wet. The effects of the salt over the paint looks like snow. After it was dry, I thread painted the tree. It is machine quilted with white fluorescent thread and embellished with crystals and "Diamond Dust" I purchased from a rubber stamp store.

7 comments:

morningDove said...

How did you get the green neocolor to look (splotchy) for a lack of technical words on the fabric? Sponge paint? I like the technique and embellishments. Black Friday -I was awakened last night 1:30 and it was not Santa's reindeer making a clatter. It was shoppers going to a mall near us. They had decided to park in our residential neighborhood because the lots were full at the mall. The other jolly noises were fire trucks and police sirens topped by car alarms ringing incessantly and angry people yelling. Wonder if I could make it into a poem and send to our local newspaper. (lol) I finally fell back to sleep at 4:30 when the last car left our street and my doggie stopped barking. 23 years of quiet in our neighborhood lost to a mall expanding.

Fannie said...

Sounds like you had a sleepless night. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your question. I updated my post to reflect the answer to your question. I added salt after painting the image and while it was still wet. I thought it would resemble snow. ;-D

morningDove said...

its amazing the effect salt has on techniques while wet. I love that one little detail, it made all the difference in the final piece. lots of personality.

Jacq said...

Your tree is really great and the effects of the salt are wonderful. I see that you have your sewing machine back home, happiness.

Fannie said...

Salt and personality kind of goes together, doesn't it. ;-D

Yes . . . hurray for sewing machines! ;-D ;-O ;-V

morningDove said...

I just noticed your last comment fannie and saw the D O V faces. way cute!

Fannie said...

Seeing with the "third eye." ;-l ;-u ;-v