Thursday, December 27, 2007

Color Your World

(Color Your World, Art Quilt; 9" x 12")

This art quilt is a donation to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, "AAQI." It is machine appliqued and machine quilted. All of the fabrics used are by Jinny Beyer. Rows of black yarn adds contrast and outlines the hills and valleys. It is embellished with Swarovski Crystals.

Ami Simms is currently working on a new web page that will be dedicated exclusively to AAQIs activities, and the next quilt auction is slated for February 2008. That will give me some time to produce more art quilts. My new goal for 2008 is to raise another $1,000 to help find a cure for Alzheimer's disease.

No one is exempt from the high and low periods of life. Variety--including challenges--adds interest, excitement and growth. Sometimes one can feel "stuck" in a valley. Sometimes the mountain one climbs feels impossible and never-ending. Sometimes even a gradual hill can seem overwhelming. I imagine that those who suffer from Alzheimer's, including their families, may experience emotions that take them over hills and over mountains and into valleys. Although those feelings may translate into darkness and gloom, remembering a loved ones personality before this dreaded disease can bring joy and happy memories and can add brightness to one's difficult journey.

This art quilt is dedicated to all who struggle--color your world with hope and love.

5 comments:

Jacq said...

Your art quilt is great, at first I thought it might be needle felted. I like your color choices. Your work with AAQI is wonderful and I'm sure you will be able to meet your goal. My brothers wife has Alzheimer's and everyday is a struggle for both of them. Thank you for your work.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Jacq. The black eyelash yarn fools the eye, doesn't it.

I'm also working on a felted art quilt similar in design to this one. Playing.

Tell me more about your brother's wife. Perhaps it will inspire my next art quilt.

DeBee said...

I also thought it might be needle felted. Beautiful colors.
My paternal grandmother had Alzheimer's, so that makes me most likely to get it. I have wanted to make quilts for AAQI, but haven't started, yet. Thanks for your work supporting this important issue!

Fannie said...

Hi, DeBee. Jinny Beyer's fabrics are beautiful, aren't they?

Maybe you can tell me about your grandmother and inspire yet another quilt. I can use inspiration.

I have enjoyed being a part of AAQI and have found many kindred spirits among fellow participants. Thanks for looking.

Cindy said...

Oh, I love this one..very graphic and striking. The yarn works wonderfully in this quilt.

I wish you lots of success in raising money for AAQI.