Friday, December 28, 2007

"Little Girl" Fabric Postcard is a Winner

(Little Girl, Fabric Postcard, 4" x 6")

In February of this year, I participated in a Postcard Challenge for Easymade Publications. This was my very first fabric postcard. Easymade Publications sent me a paper pieced pattern with specific construction instructions. I was given the freedom to embellish and add design elements to the basic pattern. I crocheted lace to outline the hem of her skirt, and I also crocheted a tiny flower for her hat which is embellished with a Swarovski crystal--I had to add a crystal somewhere. Her eyes are pearls. Satin zigzag stitching with variegated thread matching the colors of the fabric finishes the edges of the postcard.

Reflecting
Since creating this postcard, I have had experience creating many more postcards using numerous techniques. In hindsight, I might have stipple quilted the background, quilted her hair, and maybe even add a pocket on her dress and inserted a heart or notebook and pencil. We were given permission to create up to five copies for personal use. I may play more with this design.

Surprise!
I learned that this postcard was a winner because Tremayne googled my name and discovered the link to their website's gallery of postcard winners, which included my name. Maybe you should google your name and see what results. You may be surprised.

8 comments:

Jacq said...

Congratulations on your postcard. Who knew where making that first postcard would take you.

Fannie said...

That first postcard took me to you! Hurray!

Bunny in IL said...

Fannie, Congratulations on your winning postcard! And I've been meanning to tell you - you have beautiful eyes! And I love those beautiful packages and the colorful mountains, too. Bunny

Fannie said...

Thanks, Bunny! It was a surprise to learn that my card was a winner. If Tremayne hadn't googled my name ...???

Thanks for your comments. Success to you in your next $1,000 too.

morningDove said...

Before my computer acted up I checked out your daughters site too. You have a beautiful family. The postcard reminds me of your daughter. Congratulations, you deserve to win time and time again. I would hate to think what my google would lead to? lol

Fannie said...

Hi, Dove. Thanks for your comments. What happened to your computer?

Cindy said...

Congratulations on creating a winning postcard! She's very sweet.

I used to love paper-piecing, haven't done any in such a long time.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Cindy. I like using paper piecing for small, intricate pieces. I'm creating paper-pieced patterns for PSIs and postcards. However, that is a long-term project.