Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Love

("Love," Fabric Postcard, 4" x 6")

I'm still attempting to overcome the potential loss of several postcards I mailed to members of my fabric postcard exchange group, which has somewhat affected my creativity. So I decided to push forward and see how many variations I could create from a basic fabric postcard I originally created for Anna.

I'm sorry for the poor quality of this photograph. The black fabric is machine stipple quilted with pink thread, the heart is outlined with buttonhole stitching using gold metallic thread, and the word "Love" was stitched freehand also with gold metallic thread. This postcard was sent to Katherine of Arizona. Just before mailing the postcard, I decided to add a yellow star button to the heart, which is not shown in this image.


Reflecting on "I Miss Us, Daddy"--Art Quilt

Yesterday I spent a good part of my day with Ku'ulei, my daughter, and Kiki (one year old) and MT (three years old), my grandchildren. We had fun playing "cow," making "moo" sounds, creating a "moo" language, and playing with "Legos." It was a good distraction from finals. ;-D

I spent the other part of my day creating the art quilt "I Miss Us, Daddy," yesterday's post. I usually blog in the mornings, but yesterday's post was not published until early evening--not because I had fun with my family, but because the experience of creating this quilt was different. It is difficult to explain, but it is as if I could feel the love between Mr. Mains and each of his daughters and also among their extended family members, and simultaneously, it's as if I could feel the loss and anguish that this disease has caused in their relationship. I don't know how to clearly express my feelings, but I felt contemplative throughout the entire creative process. It was both exhilarating and sad, and when I completed this piece, I was happy with my creation, but I also felt emotionally drained.

I usually start with a sketch, but I did not have a plan with this art quilt. I just picked fabrics from my stash and created geometric designs. An abstract piece was a good design choice because it is representative of the disorder and confusion caused by Alzheimer's disease. The title was obvious: "I Miss Us, Daddy." I imagine Diana must miss the interaction she had with her father, and seeing him, but not being able to communicate her feelings and share her day with her father must feel "lonely."

Looking back at my experience in creating this art quilt, I realize that I received a special gift that cannot be fully explained but can only be felt. I experienced the art of creativity on a different level, and I'm grateful. Thanks, Diana.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Fannie, I was so touched by reading your reflection on making Diane's quilt. The love and "soul" that you put into your work is so evident. I'm honored to have your insight into the quilt and to read Diane's response to the quilt.

morningDove said...

Ok, if I were a dishonest person I would steal everyone of your postcards. But hey, I'm not your mailcarrier. lol, its a good thing. Now I see where temptation comes in. I don't have a problem returning a wallet but your artwork Fannie - well you are the greatest. I can relate to your quilt experience. For me those are God moments that make it worth everything. Feeling you here in Virginia.

Jacq said...

What a wonderful gift to Diana and family, but also to your self and to all those you share this story with.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Cindy. It has taken me a while to share my deepest thoughts here, and sometimes I still feel reserved. But this quilt was such a special experience. Diana's reaction made it even more special.

Dove, you always know how to take away the sting of hurt and make me laugh. I was definitely blessed with a "God moment."

My quilt and story has meaning because I can share it with good friends like you.

Fannie said...

Oops, I forgot to add "Jacq" to my last comment. Jacq, that was a response to your comment.

Although, upon "reflection," it could be said to all three of you. Mistake or providence?