Tuesday, December 18, 2007

New Adventure--Felting Sculptures

Porcelain doll making was one of my passions while I lived in California many years ago. I enjoy the entire process of doll making, especially the painting of the faces and designing the doll clothes. Most of the dolls I made were given away, and this is one of the two dolls I kept. She is a flat bed doll without a name.

My interest in doll making and fiber art led me to the search of creating dolls and sculptures out of fiber. "Making Faces" by Patricia Spark, is a book I purchased from Joggles, which teaches wet and dry felting methods and sculpting. Now that I have a few weeks before the next semester, I can retrieve the felting tools and supplies I've been collecting over the past weeks and experiment with this process. I hope to incorporate these techniques in producing sculptures and dolls. There are innovative techniques and new tools and terminology to learn, and I anticipate a new world of creative possibilities.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

How versatile you are Fanny, it is wonderful, you are interested in so many things and share them with us ! I long to read your future articles and see your forthcoming sculptures and dolls !

Cindy said...

I'm so excited to see what you do with the felting! It's one of the things I would really love to learn. You are so versatile...just means you have a very creative mind ;-)

Jacq said...

I am excited to see your creations. I know have a lot to learn from you.

Fannie said...

Bonjour, Catherine. I'm excited too. I'm like a sponge right now learning all the new terminology and techniques.

Hi, Cindy. The book I'm reading is a great how-to book on sculpting. I have several other books that I will share in book reviews here soon. I go to sleep thinking about possible creations. Isn't that scary?

Jacq, I learn a lot from you as well. We "kokua"--a Hawaiian word that means "help," or in other words, we share with one another. Thanks for sharing.