Monday, December 17, 2007

Snowman

(Snowman, Fabric Postcard, 4" x 6")

The background of this fabric postcard was made by weaving three different blue strips of fabric approximately one inch wide. The edges of these strips of fabric were left with frayed edges for texture and interest. I stippled quilted over the entire background using irridescent thread. The snowman is an embroidered image which came with my sewing machine. I added a crystal to his hat for highlight, and I grounded the snowman by sewing a shadow, which was created with two different values of blue threads.

When I photographed this postcard using the light from my window, it cast an interesting light onto the piece making it seem as if the sun was shining down on the snowman. This was a pleasant surprise.

This is what the snowman looks like without the sunlight shining down on him.

This is a postcard for my exchange group.

LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW!

7 comments:

Jacq said...

I like your snowman. The light does make it look like the sun is shinning. But even without the sunlight the background is very interesting.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Jacq.
Are you ready for Christmas?

DeBee said...

Fannie-
He is just too cute! Between the weaving and stippling (and the sunshine, of course) the texture and depth are just amazing! What kind of backing fabric/material did you use behind your strips?

Fannie said...

Hi, debee~
The strips are placed directly onto my Pellon Peltex 72.

Cindy said...

Love it! Especially what you have done to create the background...very creative twist.

Catherine said...

This is beautiful Fannie ! How long did it take to make this postcard ?

Fannie said...

Hi, Cindy~
The idea for the background came out of working on my red heart variation postcards. I became weary of looking for new ways to embellish those cards, which inspired thinking about new ways to create unique foundations, thus the snowman postcard. Lessons everywhere! So much fun!

Bonjour, Catherine~
I guess it took about an hour or so.

I'm enjoying your site and learning your process using my online translator and reading a little each day. Your work is incredible, and I enjoy your articles about other artists. I especially enjoy your insights using what I call "the third eye."