Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Circles--WIP

Circles, Needle Felting, (9" x 12")
Photographed by Ku'ulei

This is my first attempt at needle felting, and it's a work in progress. The background is a piece of black felt. Various colors of wool fibers called "wool roving" were needle felted onto the black felt with a Size 40t felting needle. Wool that has been cleaned and carded is called "roving." I'll probably add yarn and beads next, and maybe more wool fiber to a portion of the background.

Needle felting is done by hand or by machine. "Circles" was done by hand. Many sewing machines have needle felting attachments, which may require the purchase of a special needle plate. I own a Bernina sewing machine, and the company offers a Decorative Needlepunch Attachment for most of the models. Lint may be a problem, but that can be resolved with frequent cleaning.

Several companies sell stand-alone needle felting machines. Janome has a stand-alone needle felting machine called "Xpression Needle Punch Felting Machine." Baby Lock's needle felting machine is called "Embellisher."

Click here for a comparison review of Bernina's needlepunch attachment and Baby Lock's "Embellisher."

8 comments:

morningDove said...

Ok Fannie: May I be allowed to rename your piece "Through The Eye Of A Needle". That is what came to me as soon as I looked at this piece of wip. Very vibrant, beads and yarn will only add to the eyes or is that "I's"?

DeBee said...

Ahhh, felt. Close to my heart. I have been dreaming of getting a felting machine. Just read a nice comparison between stand-alone machines and attachments. I think I'll leave early to pick up my daughter and stop by the shop to drool a bit! Nice colors!

Fannie said...

Through the Eye of a Needle sounds like an excellent title, Dove. Very clever.

Fannie said...

Needle felting is an enjoyable meditative form of art. I would be interested in knowing what machine you purchase. Another toy, DeBee. So much fun!

Cindy said...

Love the vibrant colors....felting is the next thing on my list to try. I'm just going to get the felting needle first...and if I like it I'll check into an attachment for my Bernina.

Fannie said...

I haven't decided on the attachment for my Bernina yet. I don't feel an urgency for the attachment because I'm enjoying felting by hand. I look forward to seeing your felting creations on your blog. I'm so glad you created your blogs!!!

Jacq said...

Your needle felted circles are great. I have only used my "Embellisher" a little and it is a lot of fun. Hopefully I shall have alot more time at the end of January. I shall be watching to see what you do with felting.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Jacq. Have you done hand needle felting too? If so, how does it compare to machine felting?