Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Heart and Country Heart

My Heart, (2.5" x 3.5")
Fannie Narte

Since next month is Valentine's, I'm playing with hearts. "My Heart" was needle felted by hand with two colors of wool roving onto white muslin. The muslin was painted using five Neocolor II crayons in varying shades of ochre. I wanted more contrast in the background than is shown, and I could have added more color, but I decided to keep it as a learning sample. The heart was machine thread painted with black embroidery thread, and the background was machine stipple quilted using gold metallic thread.

Country Heart, (2.5" x 3.5")
Fannie Narte

Since needle felting worked well on muslin, I decided to expand my experiments to felting onto printed fabric. I was able to get cleaner lines here than the "My Heart" piece probably because the thread count in this fabric was higher than the muslin piece, which gives a tighter, more secure foundation.

Needle felting seems to be adaptable to different surfaces. The possibilities are endless.

2 comments:

Jacq said...

Here are blending more techniques, I am learning so much from all that you do. Did you get the attachment for your machine?

Fannie said...

Hey, Jacq. No, I didn't get the attachment yet. Waiting . . . waiting . . . in the meantime, playing . . . playing . . .