Monday, January 14, 2008

Poppies

Poppies, (2.5" x 3.5")
Fannie Narte

The character Julie Bedford, played by Linda Hamilton, in the 2006 TV movie "Home By Christmas," portrayed a newly-divorced woman whose life dramatically changed from one of security and affluence to a life of rejection and homeless. Not only was she hurt by her husband, but she was also mugged and badly injured. While recovering from her injuries in the hospital, the mugger stole all of her money, and she was evicted from her apartment.

Because this movie has many symbolisms, a broad population can relate to its numerous themes. Starting over, fear of being alone, are a few ideas. However, although Julie's life was turned upside down, she did her best to overcome her challenges. I believe movies like "Home By Christmas" offer hope to many with the idea that through hard work, support from family and friends, humility and faith, one can overcome any obstacle.

The recent acquisition of Countrywide by Bank of America has affected many families globally, and has personally affected my family. I can relate to Julie's (Linda Hamilton's) challenges--the job situation. The coming months and next few years will be interesting.

Poppies

When Julie, the character in "Home By Christmas," moved into her new apartment, I noticed the red poppies that were painted on its walls, which inspired this piece. This ACEO employs several techniques: needle felting and watercolor painting on white muslin. I needle felted one poppy for emphasis, and placed it among many other poppies, which were painted using Neocolor II and thread painting with black embroidery thread. The yellow area in the background was machine stipple quilted using gold metallic thread.

I wanted to portray the idea that although at times we may feel alone, we are never alone.

8 comments:

morningDove said...

Beauty for the beautiful.

I wondered when the news reported the purchase of Country Wide I thought it said to American Express, but anyway I wondered how it would affect your hubby. I know for sure there is one system in place we can always count on. I love his money/finance blog. It makes me think.

Jacq said...

Your poppies are beautiful, what a nice blending of techniques.

Fannie said...

Yes, there is One system, Dove.

Thanks, Jacq. I wasn't sure how it would turn out at first, but I think it works.

Cindy said...

Lovely as always, and I love the two techniques together.

My thoughts are with you and your family regarding Countrywide. Stay strong!

Stephanie Pettengell said...

I love your poppies, Fannie you are so good.

Fannie said...

Two different techniques and media combine into one united piece--if that idea would influence people globally, can you imagine? Thanks for your thoughts, Cindy. We'll be okay.

Thanks, Stephanie!

Maggie R said...

Hi Fannie...You will never be alone.... a very interesting article....
I LOVE your poppies and the way you embellished the one...It is very effective and beautiful. You are an inspiration.
I will add you to my blogroll if that's OK with you.
((((hugs))))
Maggie

Fannie said...

Thanks for looking, Maggie. Love your "hugs," by the way.

Sure, you're welcome to link.
((((hugs and inspiration back at you!))))