Saturday, February 16, 2008

"The Earth Laughs in Flowers," by Melissa Ruff

"The Earth Laughs in Flowers," by Melissa Ruff, (4" x 6")
Fiber Art Traders, Poetic Postcard Exchange
Photographed by Ku'ulei

Melissa from Whitmore Lake, Michigan created this fabric postcard using several media and techniques in a pleasing composition. Melissa states that before she joined FAT, she "only quilted and made a couple of cloth dolls." From looking at this postcard, I think she can confidently add "mixed media" to her experiences as an artist. Her use of contrasts and careful additions of embellishments in her design and excellent workmanship make this a wonderful piece of artwork. Well, done! Thanks, Melissa.

Update: A well-meaning, but "mysterious" reader, alerted me to an "error" in this post. The title of this postcard "The Earth Laughs in Flowers" is also a quote by E.E. Cummings or Ralph Waldo Emerson, which I was not aware of at the time of this post. I have attempted to discover, without success, the originator of this phrase: Cummings or Emerson. Until I make that discovery or someone informs me, I will leave this post as is, with the exception that credit for the quote is given to either E.E. Cummings or Ralph Waldo Emerson.

2 comments:

Jacq said...

Melissa's flowers are very cheerful. I like her variety of shapes, colors and embellishments.

Fannie said...

Didn't she do a great job?