Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Fantastic Felines, by Laurel Burch

Fantastic Felines, by Laurel Burch, Fabric Postcard, (4" x 6")

Have you ever had a piece of fabric that was so beautiful that you did not want to cut it? Then finally when you decide to cut it and use it in a project, you realize that it's too pretty to cover up with embellishments?

That's what I felt about a piece of fat quarter by Laurel Burch, which I received in an exchange from Charmion from Tennessee. This fabric is colorful and extraordinary. I chose to highlight one of the feline's by outlining it with black thread and adding Swarovski crystals. It really didn't need anything added. However, I didn't want to just fuse it onto Peltex either.

Laurel's work is outstanding. Sadly, she passed away last September, but her lively work is a legacy that will "continue to brighten our world."

Source: http://laurelburch.com/about.html

8 comments:

Jacq said...

I like what your did with the fabric. Sometimes adding a little embelishment is all one needs to do. I have enjoyed using Laurel's fabrics in several projects.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Jacq. What project(s) have you made with her fabrics?

Joanna van said...

Fannie, I know what you mean! Do you have a lot of LB fabric? We had a trade at SD where we are making LB tiles based upon patterns in her books. I have tons of her fabrics and just love them. I have a bunch of her panels as well. If you'd like one, just shoot me an email and I'll send you one. I think my very favorite of her fabric is her Christmas panel and I also love her cats with trees fabric..I could go on...her Mythical Horse line is just great. I'm not too keen on her new line though. I think I mainly just like the stripes in this line.

Regina Gansen Rooks said...

I'm new to your blog & I like how you have honored LB with the way you treated this fabric.
I have 2 pair of LB earrings that date back to the early/mid 80's.
Her work has such a lasting quality.
I'm looking forward to following your adventures.

Fannie said...

Hi, Regina. Welcome, and thanks for your comments.

I discovered LB only in the last year or so. Her work is wonderful! Your pair of earrings is a treasure, I'm sure.

Fannie said...

Joanna, this is my first and only piece of Laurel's that I own. I'm hoarding it. I would have really enjoyed that trade at SD. I'm in if you do any more with her art. I guess you're a fan too. ;-D

I discovered Laurel's work only within the past year. Her work is amazing!

Barb's Blurbs said...

Fannie, I just love Laurel Burch and I purchase yards of this particular fabric. I'm using it in another group for making a quilt. We send squares to others and they put a border on it. I am getting back the most beautiful array of rainbow borders that are truly enhancing this gorgeous fabric. I have several other fabric 'families' from her collections also...

Fannie said...

Oh, Barb, I usually try not to use the word "jealous," but in special times like this, I think I'll use it--I'm jealous that you have this particular fabric and many more of Laurel's. I'm a recent fan of hers, and I'm just starting to acquire her works.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your comments. Continued success with your creations.