Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Queen Liliuokalani Japanese Gardens

FROM MY ALBUM

These are photographs of my favorite park in Hawaii, Queen Liliuokalani Japanese Gardens in Hilo on the Big Island. This park was built in the early 1900's as a memorial to the immigrant Japanese workers who worked on local sugar plantations. It is named in honor of Hawaii's last reigning monarch, Queen Liliuokalani. In 1898, Hawaii was annexed to the United States and Queen Liliuokalani was forced to give up her throne.

This is my favorite shot. Tremayne and I went for walks around the perimeter of this garden, along with other locals and tourists.

Look at the wonderful reflections!

Walking and talking with Tremayne among this beautiful scenery made exercising a joy!

Another shot of the garden looking toward the ocean.

This garden reminds me of Monet's garden in Giverny--without the water lilies.

Huge trees offer walkers relief from the early morning sun along the walking path,

and lush greenery enjoy the protection too.


There are 30 acres of Hawaiian and oriental plantings, walkways, pagodas, ponds and bridges in this garden.

Source: http://www.letsgo-hawaii.com/liliuokalani/

8 comments:

Jacq said...

I'm ready to go. Your picture beautiful and so inviting.

Fannie said...

Let's go, Jacq!

morningDove said...

what lush greenery and so refreshing to look at the pics.
It does draw you in and speak to you "come walk with me and enjoy
the fruits of my labor". thanks for reminding me that during this time I need to take time with hubby.

Fannie said...

Imagine the "droppings" you can find along this path . . .

Beth said...

What a beautiful garden! I could only dream to go to such a beautiful place.

Fannie said...

I hope you're able to visit there some day, Beth.

Catherine said...

This is such a beautiful place Fannie ! The reflections on the water are wonderful, as the entire landscape. Thanks for sharing this with us !

Fannie said...

You're welcome, Catherine. I hope you get a chance to visit Hawaii someday.