Friday, February 1, 2008

Sprinkle Hearts--Art Quilt

Sprinkle Hearts, Art Quilt, Neocolor II, (8" x 9")
Fannie Narte
SOLD

It's February 1st already. Time is flying! Since February is the month we celebrate Valentine's Day, this art quilt seems appropriate.

Do you know someone who always has a kind word, sends you e-mails or notes "Just Because," sends you surprises in the mail, calls you because they're thinking of you, gives you a "Bear Hug" whenever you meet, listens to you when you have something exciting to share, and listens to you without judgment when you have concerns? This art quilt is dedicated to all who sprinkle hearts of love and kindness to everyone they meet.

Sprinkle Hearts

This art quilt is a new experimentation with Neocolor II onto printed fabric. The surface is blue cotton fabric painted with Neocolor II. I added gold leaf paint to the colored squares and machine quilted those squares with gold metallic thread. The blue squares were machine quilted with irridescent thread.

10 comments:

morningDove said...

oh my gosh!! I want it. Super job, looks like your experimentation is working. Its a beauty. So soothing and peaceful.

Fannie said...

Hi, Dove~
Notice anything similar here?

Joanna van said...

Fanny, this is just beautiful. I love what you did with the background.

Joanna

Cindy said...

I'm behind on my "blog viewing"...getting ready for tomorrow's workshop.

I just love seeing all the colorful things you post, whether by you or to you.

I had never thought of using the Neo's over printed fabric. Another thing to try. Really nice with the gold leaf paint and gold metallic thread.

Fannie said...

Hi, Cindy. I wish I could be in your workshop tomorrow. Have fun!!! I'll be thinking of you, and look forward to a report. Ever thought of showcasing your students' finished pieces on your blog? That idea has favorable consequences all the way around. ;-D

Fannie said...

Hi, Joanna. This was another project without planning. Next time I'll be more selective with my choices of Neocolors in combination with the color of the background fabric. The gold leafing was fun to use too.

Thanks for stopping by.

Jacq said...

Fannie, I love your bird and and reading about your experimenting. You ARE one of those people that sprinkle hearts of love and kindness.

Fannie said...

Hi, Jacq. You are one of the people I was referring to when I wrote this article. Thanks for sprinkling hearts over me.

Joanna van said...

Fanny I meant to ask you. What do you think about the metallic colored crayons? I've been meaning to buy some.

Fannie said...

Hey, Joanna. I have not tried their metallics.

However, here are my findings with the Neocolor II silver, gold and bronze. Their colors are rich and deep. You could mix russet, brown and burnt sienna to get a bronze color. However, the bronze crayon has a deeper tone to it. I like to use bronze as an underpainting for my "wood" and shadow areas such as the center of a sunflower. The gold has an olive green shade, which you can achieve by mixing light olive, olive brown and olive. However, like the bronze, the gold crayon has a deeper, rich tone. I use the silver as an underpainting for skies, winter scenes, etc. Although these are metallics in name, I don't notice a metallic sheen to it after being wet.

Caran d'Ache makes a metallic set, which they call "Neocolor I Metallic Artist Crayons." They come in a set of 10 colors. This set may produce a metallic shimmer.

Hope this helps.