Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sunflower 3 After

Sunflower 3, Art Quilt, (7" x 7")
Fannie Narte


This is the completed art quilt from yesterday's post. I added a stem to this piece and kept the stitching on the petals simple. I prefer the stipple quilting on the background instead of the echo quilting in Sunflower 2. I think this version is a good line drawing for a tutorial. The stitching isn't too overwhelming. Or does it matter? What do you think?

AAQI DEDICATION

This quilt will be renamed "Sunflower 1" and will be donated to AAQI to help raise funds in support of Alzheimer's research. It is dedicated to Tony and his mom, Leida. Leida died from Alzheimer's disease.


Here are the other sunflowers in this test series.

Sunflower and Sunflower 2, Art Quilts, (7" x 7")
Fannie Narte

12 comments:

Clevelandgirlie said...

Wow Fannie - these are sooooo pretty. I notice how the stiple quilting really brings out the flower. Have you ever heard of McTavishing??? That is a free style "fill in" effect for backgrounds. Google Karen McTavish and McTavishing and you will see what I mean if you don't already know what it is. That would be a terriffic background filler for your use I think.
Cathie

Fannie said...

Thanks, Cathie. No, I have not heard of Karen McTavish, but I will do the research. Thanks for sharing the information. You're great!

Sherry said...

Fannie, another awesome job. I prefer the stipple as it makes the sunflower POP. How long did it take you to learn the free motion thread painting? I can stipple with no problems, but still haven't mastered "drawing" with the free motion. I have discovered that I can stipple better without my BSR that came on my Bernina. I guess since I learned without it, the BSR just seems odd to me now. Thanks for sharing. You are truly an inspiration. Sherr in NC.

Allison Ann Aller said...

This one is my fave of the three. I don't think you need the extra black stitching within the petals. Really nice...

Fannie said...

Thanks for your feedback, Sherry. Free motion thread painting...I don't think I've mastered it yet.

Ooooh, how lucky to have a BSR. I don't have one of those. I think you're right about your comfort level with BSR. I'm sure your comfort level with the BSR will increase after you've played with it for a bit.

Fannie said...

Thanks for the support, Allison. I appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments.

Patsy said...

I like the last one best, but man, I love them all!

Fannie said...

Welcome, Patsy. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments. I value your feedback. Looks like No. 3 is the favorite.

Regina Gansen Rooks said...

I definitely prefer the stipple stitched backgrounds, but all 3 versions are lovely.

Fannie said...

Thanks for looking, Regina. I appreciate your comments. ;-D

Jacq said...

I like all your flowers but think I like the middle flower the best with some of the detail in the flower. I also like the stippling background the best. All are very nice.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Jacq. Which flower center do you like best?