Monday, March 31, 2008

Different, but Same

Different, but Same, Fabric Postcard, (4"x6")
Fannie Narte


I used silk paints on white cotton fabric to create this postcard. It doesn't blend as easily as it does on silk, but the results are satisfactory. The thread sketching around the pears and its shadows is done with black embroidery thread, and the background quilting is done with irridescent thread. I sprayed black acrylic paint over the piece using a toothbrush.

This postcard is a trade for Surface Design's "Aerial Perspective" postcard challenge.

THE INSPIRATION FOR THIS POSTCARD

Different, but Same, Colored Pencils, Pastelboard, (8" x 10")

This colored pencil drawing is the inspiration for my postcard. This piece has been used several times for different purposes. I've also used this image to create an art quilt that was sold to help fund Alzheimer's research.

When I created this colored pencil drawing, I portrayed the idea of "acceptance." We are unique individuals--different cultural backgrounds, ages, genders, personalities, and beliefs. However, we are all the same in one important aspect--we all want to be loved, appreciated, accepted and encouraged. Thus, the title "Different, but Same."

What is your perspective?
Fannie

8 comments:

Jacq said...

We all have so many things that are the same that bring us together, but I think it is our differences that strengthen us. Your pears remind me of the apples that I use on my blog.

Fannie said...

Hi, Jacq. Pears, apples--different, but same. ;-D

Regina said...

This is a fascinating piece. I'm always drawn to textures.
Your background info adds so much, too.
You've been so productive & I've enjoyed seeing all that you've posted.
xo

Fannie said...

Thanks, Regina!

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie...I really love the pears...I keep working on cupcakes and you keep working on pears...

this piece is wonderful...I love the colors...and love that you give all the details about making the piece...

I love your idea behind the piece...so true...acceptance...

Cheers,
Diana

morningDove said...

I would never thought to use something like this for "aerial". I always think of seeing from a planes view. Thanks for opening up my eyes to see beyond myself.

Fannie said...

Hi, Diana. Yes, cupcakes and pears--both food items. Hmmmm. ;-D

Maybe I'll create a piece combining both elements. Let's see, now. What to do? . . .

Fannie said...

Hi, Dove. This is my "artistic perspective" or "take" on aerial perspective.

In art, "aerial perspective" is a visual element that portrays an illusion of depth without the use of lines. It is also referred to as "atmospheric perspective." The illusion of depth is created by changing the colors, values and details.

Maybe I should create postcards with more of a traditional aerial perspective for this exchange. ???