Monday, March 3, 2008

Fabric Paper ACEOs

Hula Dancer, ACEO, (2.5" x 3.5")
by Fannie Narte

Two shades of green acrylic paint were applied to a piece of fabric paper. See "Fabric Paper" sample below. Rubber stamped images were added using black solvent ink.


Getting Ready For Easter, ACEO, (2.5" x 3.5")
by Fannie Narte

Three shades of yellow acrylic paint were applied to a piece of fabric paper. See "Fabric Paper" sample below. The sketch of the bunny was made using black acrylic paint. The background was rubber stamped with tiny black specks using black solvent ink.

FABRIC PAPER


This is a sample of the fabric paper I used for these two ACEOs.

The first (bottom) layer is muslin; the second layer was made from a variety of torn scrapbook paper; and the third (top) layer is white tissue paper. A glue mixture made by adding water to white glue was added to each layer, including over the top layer.

Fabric paper seems like a great textured surface for my black line drawings and rubber stamped images. So many possibilities.

I wonder how colored tissue paper added to the third layer--instead of white tissue paper--would change the appearance of the fabric paper? What if I added handmade papers, yarn, newsprint, or other fibers to the second layer? What if I used pigment inks, or watercolors, or Neocolor II? What if . . . what if . . . more experimenting . . . fun!

8 comments:

Jacq said...

Both your postings on fabric paper are really great. You do such a good job at tutorials. Layering paper and using watered down glue takes me back to my high school days. My art teacher was really into it.

Fannie said...

Thanks for your comments, Jacq. Your postcard got me interested in making fabric paper. Thanks for the inspiration.

You have a good memory. I might have left my mind somewhere in Alaska, or was it in grade school?

morningDove said...

I can't wait to get my first rubber stamps and try them along with everything else. Your ACEOs are wonderful. great paper and love the texture with added charms, stitches, etc. Wonderful!!

Fannie said...

Hi, Dove. Rubber stamping is an enjoyable medium. I look forward to seeing your creations and discoveries.

Hanna said...

Fannie, your work ist wonderful! I love visiting your blog -
all the best
Hanna

Fannie said...

Hanna, so glad to see you here! I visit your blog regularly and enjoy seeing your work and reading about your art activities in your part of the world.

Regina Gansen Rooks said...

Will have to try this when time/space is cleared on my table.
I love to use tissue paper. When I have a juicy painted surface, I lay tissue on top to gently blot the excess. I may blot on the same (dry) paper repeatedly in a color family. Later these go into collage. I based an entire painting on tissue that I gave this treatment to that I later adhered to illustration board with acrylic matte medium.
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!

Fannie said...

Thanks for the "tute," Regina. Great idea. I'll have to visit your blog to find these treasures--kind of like an Easter Egg hunt.