Sunday, March 2, 2008

Love--ACEOs

Love, ACEOs, (2.5" x 3.5")
by Fannie Narte

These two ACEOs were made by using a technique called "fabric paper." Making fabric paper basically involves gluing three layers: a base fabric, pieces of paper and other items, and a top layer of tissue paper. However, with these ACEOs, I did not apply a top layer of tissue paper. I used watered-down inexpensive white glue. Another recommendation is PVA glue.

MAKING FABRIC PAPER

This is how I made this fabric paper:

1. Prepare glue mixture by adding water to white glue to the consistency of milky water. There is no exact recipe. I guessed the ratio by playing.

2. Place a piece of plastic on your work table to protect its surface. I used plastic food wrap.

3. My first layer was a piece of 8" x 8" muslin. Using a sponge brush, I saturated this piece of muslin with the prepared glue mixture.

4. My second layer was a piece of brown lunch bag, which was cut and opened into a flat sheet. Place this flat sheet onto the first layer and saturate this layer with glue.

5. I added various colors of alcohol inks and gold paint to the wet surface. The word "Love" was written with black alcohol ink, using the bottle like a pen. Let the fabric paper dry completely.

6. After the fabric paper is completely dry, I ironed it and fused it onto two 2.5" x 3.5" pieces of 90 lb. watercolor paper. Trim the edges.

Embellishments:

7. Holes were stitched into the edges of the ACEOs using my sewing machine, without thread. Using embroidery floss, I added running stitches into these holes and also added glass beads.

8. A bronze "F" charm was glued to a piece of tan felt, which was glued to the first ACEO. "F" is for "Feracious." ;-D

9. Glass beads were added to a heart made from tan felt and glued to the second ACEO.

That's it. The possibilities are endless.

Click HERE to see an example of a fabric paper postcard made by my friend, Jacq. Visit Jacq's blog for more inspiration.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Cindy said...

I can always count on coming to your blogs for inspiration, and some new process....indeed, the possibilites are endless.

Marsha Robinett said...

This is a beautiful piece...and such an interesting process. Thanks for sharing.

Sherry said...

Oh Fannie, you made my day with this tute. I just purchased some tissue paper specifically for this technique, however I was going to have to request help as I'd forgotten the "recipe". Thanks so much. Sherry

Fannie said...

Thanks for your comments, Cindy, Marsha and Sherry.

I'm glad my post was timely for you, Sherry. Have fun creating!

Catherine said...

These two pieces are so beautiful, Fannie ! I really love them and your latest works are all very nice !

Fannie said...

Your encouragement is always received with gratitude, Catherine.

Ku'ulei said...

Oooo! Nice to see the finished product!

Fannie said...

Hey, Ku'u~~one for you, and one for Ipo. ;-D

Regina Gansen Rooks said...

Love this & thanks for sharing the tut. I was playing with alcohol inks last week & hope to get a post up soon to share. They are intriguing. xo

Fannie said...

Hi, Regina. Alcohol inks are new to me. This is my first attempt at using it. I curiously strolled into a rubber stamp store and left an hour later with a "large" package of "stuff" after having a tutorial on this medium. ;-D