Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Aerial Perspective

Kindred Spirits, by Asher Brown Durand, 1849
Collection of the Walton Family Foundation

"Kindred Spirits is a masterpiece American landscape painting which depicts American artist Thomas Cole and American poet William Cullen Bryant engulfed by the wilderness of the Catskill Mountains of New York. In appreciation of Bryant's eulogy of Cole, who died an untimely death from pneumonia in 1848, New York dry-goods merchant and art collector Jonathan Sturges commissioned Durand to capture the friendship of the painter and poet. Kindred Spirits embodies the intimate connection of Durand, Bryant, and Cole." (National Gallery of Art.)

CLOSE-UPS OF "KINDRED SPIRITS"

These are close-ups of the "Kindred Spirits" postcards I created for my Surface Design's "aerial view" exchange group, which I explained in a previous post. This post is dedicated to my friend, Joanna, who requested a close-up look at these postcards. These cards took longer to stitch than I expected, and I used a lot of thread, but I feel like I learned a new technique, and it really was enjoyable to sew. I used various combinations of threads, and each card is uniquely different.

"Kindred Spirits" 1
Kindred Spirits 1, Fabric Postcard, (4"x6")
Original Art by Asher Brown Durand, 1796-1886
Fannie Narte

"Kindred Spirits" 2

Kindred Spirits 2, Fabric Postcard, (4"x6")
Original Art by Asher Brown Durand, 1796-1886
Fannie Narte


"Kindred Spirits" 3
Kindred Spirits 3, Fabric Postcard, (4"x6")
Original Art by Asher Brown Durand, 1796-1886
Fannie Narte


"Skagway, Alaska"

This was my first postcard for this group. I needle felted the pine trees, then hand embroidered certain areas for texture, machine stitched in other areas and added beading to portray rocks.

This was an ambitious undertaking, and I had to find an alternative image if I were to complete this exchange within the allotted time frame. I created several pieces before finally deciding upon "Kindred Spirits" shown above. Although creating "Kindred Spirits" took a while to stitch, it's not as long as it would be to create three more of Skagway, Alaska.

This was my photo reference. I took this photograph during a trip to Alaska last year. Tremayne and I flew with twelve other passengers in a small aircraft over the glaciers in Skagway, Alaska. It was a scary experience at first as I had never flown in such a small aircraft where the passengers were strategically seated so the weight was evenly distributed. However, once we were up in the sky, I was captivated by the beauty of the land and mesmerized by the massive glaciers.

Source:
National Gallery of Art

Enjoy,
Fannie

6 comments:

Jacq said...

WOW, your postcards are amazing, what a lot of beautiful work. I love the interpretation of your Skagway picture.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Jacq!

Diana Evans said...

wonderful work Fannie...love the details....I always wanted to see Alaska...

love that you get your inspiration from places and things you see...makes them all that more special....

Fannie said...

Thanks, Diana. I hope you, Cole and Brad get to visit Alaska sometime.

Ku'ulei said...

I really like the kindred spirits ones. I BET that took a lot of stitching, but it looks so nice. I like the way it frames the friends. It reminds me of me and Amanda.

Fannie said...

I like this one, too, Ku'u. Friends are special. Amanda is special. I'm glad you have a friend like her.
~M