Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Whimsical Pears

Whimsical Pears, Mixed Media, (8"x24")
Fannie Narte


I mounted these three 6" x 6" pear art quilts onto a stretched canvas, which I painted with watercolors. Rows of fancy black and variegated eyelash yarns were added to the borders of each quilt. Several rows of the same yarns, which were randomly placed in curved lines beneath the quilts, add unity and extra whimsy to the piece.

After hours of failed attempts of photographing "Whimsical Pears" yesterday, I made another try this morning and will have to "settle" for this image until I can replace it, with Ku'ulei's expert help. I realize my photography skills are limited, but I prefer creating rather than spending my time improving my picture-taking skills. Choices . . . .

With this piece, I may have entered a new realm of mixed media art. I'm not quite sure what that means, but it sure will be fun discovering.

TO "SETTLE"

There are many definitions for the word "settle." I think this one defines my feelings about my photography skills best: "To change from disturbance and agitation to repose and tranquility."

Depending on one's situation, sometimes "settling" may not be a good choice. In my situation, I chose to "settle" with this photograph even though the outcome wouldn't be as I would have liked it to be.

CHOICES

Each obstacle brings us to a point of making choices. In this situation, I could spend more time trying to get a better photograph--no, thank you. I know my limits; I could decide to take photography classes to improve my skills--choose not to; I could care less about the quality of the photograph--I care; or I can accept whatever is before me and work towards making future situations better, which requires planning--by asking for Ku'ulei's help.

I think "settling" in my situation is a temporary fix. However, there are alternatives and solutions for almost any situation. Choices are a matter of preference and seeking help.

I'm glad Ku'ulei helps me photograph my artwork for my blog. She allows me to spend my time doing what I love to do. Now, if only I could find help with housework, laundry, cooking . . . .

How would you define "settling"? Do you ask for help when you need it?
Fannie

15 comments:

Forever Young said...

hey i don't think i even saw this site, so i am going to add you to my list of favourites becasue i feel i have found a new friend. thanx for all your fab comments new friend.

i define settling as an inner peace...
i find it very hard to ask for help, as i have had to rely on myself mostly in life, but for those who can ask for help- lucky you!
mind you i am always available for others. hugs

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie...your pears are wonderful...they look perfect together....

I never settle...I am always trying to do everything...it is crazy I know...but I have never been one to ask for help...more one to offer help and teach...I love to learn new things each and every day and even though some pieces may not be all that great I go back to them after some time...never settling on it till I am 100 percent happy with it...

I think to me settling means not to learn something new...so I never settle...I also think that each and every day we can grow and become better people...becoming a better friend, a better wife, better at art, better at being a mom, better at cooking...settling would mean I have reached the bar...I like raising it and a challenge each and every day...makes things more interesting...lol...

wonderful post Fannie...and I love that you make me think each and every day...I am becoming a better person just knowing you...

Hugs
Diana

Melinda said...

Settling . . . is what my cat Titch does when he pads around the bed and finds the fluffiest, coziest, softest place to take a nap. Lots of definitions for 'settle', but my focus right now is to find where and how I want to settle into my life so the outside of it matches me on the inside.

Asking for help??? This is a challenge for me, I've had to be very independent and self-reliant most of my life. But I am starting to let my guard down and ask and it's a good thing.

Fannie said...

Hi, Forever Young! What a great name! Thanks for your responses to the prompt. I love reading them. It gives me an insight into thoughts and ideas outside of myself, and the "gift"--I get to know you better.

Here's to getting to know you better, and to the new "40"! ;-D

Fannie said...

Hi, Diana. Thanks, again, for your words of encouragement. I have it hanging in my studio/kitchen below my silk painted irises. They look well together.

Thanks for taking the time to post your ideas to my prompt. I'm glad you feel that these questions help you think about things.

I began these prompts because I truly wanted to know others' views about certain topics, and learn from it, and maybe even refine my own views on that topic after having read others' responses.

Your responses remind me of a "younger" Fannie.

I find it very enlightening that each of us has a unique definition of "settling." I hope more people will post their responses to this prompt. I'm learning a lot.

Thanks, Diana.

Fannie said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas, Melinda. I imagine Titch likes to "settle" anywhere near you, a place of comfort.

Outside matching the inside--that's an excellent goal. Sounds like an idea and starting point for a "haiku." Hint, hint.

I often wonder why it is so difficult for many of us to ask for help, but so easy to give others help. ???

Thanks for sharing your heart, Melinda, and for prompting me to look into mine.

morningDove said...

first i must say i like your evolving to whimsy. The word "settling" reminds me of a house setting on its foundation. You never know what is going to occur when it settles. funny that's where my mind went.

Regina said...

When I was younger, I thought "settle" was a bad thing. I was driven by perfectionism. I had to learn to redefine my expectations when my time and energy couldn't keep up with those demands.
I think I've become more teachable and easier to life with as my acceptance of settling has grown. I'm also more prone to ask for help, although it still is not easy. When we ask for help, that means relinquishing some control. Oh, boy!

Regina said...

Fannie-
I was so busy thinking about your questions, that I didn't comment on your GORGEOUS pear art. You've really turned the individual pieces into a stronger whole with this composition. Love it!

Fannie said...

Dove, it's great that you can let your mind go wherever it wants. You open up the channels of creativity. Nice.

Fannie said...

Regina, you've left some thoughtful insights. Time and life's experiences can turn knowledge into wisdom--if we let it.

I struggled with the "asking for help part" when I was younger. It may have something to do with the saying: "It is better to give than to receive." I wanted to do better, and I misinterpreted the saying. I've since learned that allowing someone to express their gratitude and feelings by giving to me is as much a virtue as it is to give.

Now, having said all that, I still struggle with the receiving part at times. I think that comes from a different issue.

Regina said...

When we receive graciously, we are allowing the giver to be blessed with the joy that comes in giving.
Wouldn't it be selfish to not allow others the joy of giving because it's hard to accept help? I was blessed to realize this truth many years ago when I needed help after surgery.

Fannie said...

Regina, I have been blessed many times throughout my life with help from caring people too. There is joy in giving "and" receiving. Learning to receive is difficult for many and takes practice, but is achievable and a joyous feeling when understood.

Beth said...

Hi Fannie! Somehow I missed this post earlier. I guess I have been busier than I thought. Anyway, I wanted to comment on the pears. You know I love these pears and I was wondering if these are new ones or the ones that you were going to put into a quilt? Either way, I love them!
About your question about asking for help? As I get older, it gets easier to ask for help, but...it is hard to give up that control. Hopefully that will come with time also.

Fannie said...

Hi, Beth! These are the original pears. I used a canvas instead. I wanted more of a 3-D look.

Getting older has its benefits, doesn't it? Control . . . now that's an idea for a question with the potential for stimulating conversations.

Hope you're doing well!