Friday, May 9, 2008

Dancing Pansies

Dancing Pansies, Paper Quilt, (10" x 18.5")
Fannie Narte


Terri Stegmiller is teaching an online class called "Paper Quilting Explorations." Dancing Pansies" is the result of Lesson 1, which was last week's lesson. The entire quilt is made from fabric paper. I strayed from the lesson quite a bit: I created pansies instead of tulips and added embellishments, including outlining certain areas with black "Scribbles" 3D paint, and rubbing black pigment ink onto some of the raised areas of the fabric paper.

PAINTS I USED

The background is blue and gold fabric paper. The sky blue spray paint I used is called "Radiant Rain Shimmering Mist," by Lumin Arte, Inc. This is one of my favorite paints. I mixed my own gold paint, which is watered down gold metallic acrylic paint and poured into a plastic spray bottle that I purchased from my local hobby store for about a dollar. The pink, yellow and green fabric papers were made from craft acrylic paints.

THREADS AND STABILIZER

Each of the applique pieces were stitched to the background using matching colored thread. I fused the paper quilt onto Pellon Peltex 72, which is a double-sided fusible ultra firm stabilizer.

FABRIC PAPER--ART MEDIUM

Up to this point, I've only used fabric paper to make journals or ATCs. This lesson has opened my mind to the endless possibilities of the use of fabric paper as a medium. I'm really pleased with the results of this lesson. Unfortunately this photograph doesn't show the shimmering gold paint, nor does it show the Swarovski crystals on two of the pansies. Sorry about that. Now on to Lesson 2.

Sunday is an extra special day. Have a great weekend!
Fannie

20 comments:

Lisa M Griffin said...

It is always inspiring to visit you site! I don't even sew paper in my scrapbooks. =) You continually post such lovely creations and your pansies are no exception.
Have a great weekend, thanks for sharing.

Stephanie Pettengell said...

Another beautiful creation from you Fannie, I love to stitch on paper based media but rarely get the chance to do it so it is wonderful to look and see. Thanks

Sue B said...

Gorgeous!

Tremayne said...

You AMAZE me. Every single day.

quiltcrazygal said...

Your work is fabulous! What a wonderful display of talent! I would love to learn paperquilting someday. Jenna Louise

Sherry said...

Beautiful piece and you are so generous with the sharing or your techniques.

Fannie said...

Hi, Lisa! The art you create is carefully "stitched" with pencil strokes--beautiful art, different medium. Your work is amazing.

Is there a sewing machine in your future? ;-D

Fannie said...

Nice to see you, Stephanie. I hope you find some time to play with fabric paper sometime. I'd like to see your creations. You produce original pieces that inspire.

Fannie said...

Thanks, SueB.

T--What a nice surprise!

Hi, Jennifer! I imagine your creations will be just as wonderful as your fiber art.

Brigitte (SE. Louisiana) said...

Hi Fannie....I am in the class also but have not had a chance to finish any of the lessons. Your piece is awesome. What an inspiration you are.

morningDove said...

Happy Mother's Day early. To a terrific friend, woman, mother, wife, and most of all artist who encourages and inspires us all. love your class work.

Forever Young said...

and i hope it's a great day for you too.

ScaryCheri said...

Fannie, those pansies are fabulous. I love how you descibe how you do everything also. Not exactly sure what fabric paper is but I have to check it out. Thank you for the lovely comments you left on my blog. I love getting to meet and see new artists and their art. Thanks for sharing. Hugz, Scary

Jacq said...

Your pansies are wonderful. I thought about taking Terri's class but I need to get a few other things done.

Tangled Threads said...

Your pansies are delightful!! I love your work. I used your tutorial to experiment with wax pastels on fabric. Thank you.

Fannie said...

Hi, Brigitte! Nice to see you. I like the sound of your name--Bri-gitte. Sounds musical.

You're not alone--I haven't started my second lesson yet. I look forward to seeing your creations.

Fannie said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, Sweet Dove.

I hope you have a blessed Mother's Day, Forever Young!

Fannie said...

Scary, great to see you. You're welcome. I enjoy visiting the artists that my friends recommend an place in their blog's side bar. I've found many new friends that way. Glad to have met you and your wonderful art.

Jacq, I'm sure Terri will have more classes in the future that you can participate in. I'm having fun learning her creative techniques. Thanks to you and all the enticing art and links you post to your blog from your online classes, I've found a new way to learn. Thank you for sharing, Jacq!

Tangled Threads, glad to see you. I hope you found the Necolor tutorial easy to follow. If I can improve it in any way, please let me know.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL OF YOU DEAR FRIENDS!

Fannie said...

I wish there was a way to edit the comments. I see I've made typos--I don't like "typos." ;-D Argghh.

Fannie said...

Hi, Sherry! Thanks for looking. Happy Mother's Day!