Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Faith, Courage and Joy--ATC

Faith, Courage and Joy, Mixed Media on Canvas, (2.5" x 3.5")
Fannie Narte

PLAYING
WITH
TECHNIQUES
LEARNED
FROM
ON-LINE CLASSES

The idea of "Faith, Courage and Joy" came from a combination of techniques I learned from SueB's, Terri's and Karyn's online classes, and I added a few ideas of my own.

Hill shapes were cut from scrapbook paper, glued to the canvas and painted with acrylic paints, a technique I learned from Karyn Gartel.

IMPRESSIONISM: DRIED FLOWERS AND LEAVES

I love drying flowers, and I have a small collection of rose leaves, rose petals and pansies. The house was made from dried rose leaves, and the impressionistic trees, flowers and bushes were made from dried rose and pansy petals, which were first prepared by brushing them with gel medium. The gel medium changed these dried media from being brittle to being flexible, which made it easy to work with. Its natural colors and textures are wonderful. The addition of these dried flowers and leaves make this piece unique.

PHILOSOPHICAL PHRASES

Words were cut from pages of an old book and glued to the canvas using gel medium. As you can see, I was feeling a bit philosophical while creating this piece.


Different phrases were added to each of the four sides of the canvas. "I believe" was glued to the top. The other phrases are: "be renewed in the spirit of your mind," "There is a magic formula for success," and "love God and people and life."

I believe that everyone has the potential to achieve anything they desire if they are willing to work hard. What do you believe?
Fannie

14 comments:

kiwicarole said...

Fannie, I see you're having fun experimenting! I am enjoying your experiments too! I believe that if you want something bad enough, you will make it happen. If it doesn't happen, then you weren't passionate enough about it!
Hugs from Carole

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie...oh my I have really missed alot these last few days...your work always makes me feel better....thank you for popping by to say hello during one of the most difficult times for us...

you are such a wonderful and dear friend....

hugs

Diana

StegArt said...

I believe that you are right Fannie. Your last paragraph is so true. Great piece of art.

Chrisss said...

Very inspirational. You're very talented and I loved the different styles you incorporated into this piece of artwork.

morningDove said...

I believe I have rose petals from the wedding pressing in my phone book. I should try the gel medium on them to see what comes of it.
Interesting collage. I really like it - esp. the words.
I think how would fannie describe her piece to me if i could not see?

ScaryCheri said...

I press flowers in the phone book in the truck all the time. I have some beautiful ones from TX drying right now. These landscape pieces are outstanding Fannie. It really makes me want to try one of those online classes. It looks to me like you are learning quite a few techniques. Thanks for sharing with us. And than you for the comment on my blog. Hugz, Scary

Sue B said...

I couldn't agree more Fannie. Love these ATC's.

rbaird said...

Well said Fannie, your ATC's are lovely.

Fannie said...

Hi, Carole! Thanks for your visit!

Diana, I hope you're well. I've been thinking about you a lot. {{{Hugs}}}

Thanks for the online offerings, Terri! Always good to see you.

Thanks, Chrisss!

Dove--how would I describe my piece to one who cannot see? Picture the most peaceful and colorful meadow you can imagine, where sloping hills and gentle valleys are occupied by strong trees, which are home to singing birds, and dancing flowers and grass rythmically move to the music of the friendly wind, and a humble house to welcome you home. ;-D Imagination is key.

Fannie said...

Hi, Scary. I enjoy visiting your blog and seeing what you're up to. Thanks for visiting.

Thanks for your class offerings, SueB. Your lessons are taking me to a place of explorations. Thanks!!!

Thanks, Roberta!

Jacq said...

What a great combination of techniques. With hard work and wonderful supportive friends, all things are poosible.

Jacq said...

I'm not sure if you got the first comment I made, so will try again. I love your mixture of techniques from different classes. Your ATC has so much in it. I believe with hard work and the support of friends and family, one can do anything.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Jacq. Well said! Support of family and friends is important to success--glad to call you "friend."

Ku'ulei said...

I love! I need! Ha ha. This really is a beautiful piece. Nicely crafted and nice meaning. I love this style.