Friday, May 2, 2008

Magnolias--ATC

Magnolias, ATC, (2.5" x 3.5")
Fannie Narte


This is a result of my playing and wondering "What if." What would result if I were to paint on a tone-on-tone piece of printed fabric, combining the colors in the fabric and the colors of the silk dyes. It was exciting to watch this experiment develop with every brush stroke and every stitch.

After sketching and transferring the line drawing to the fabric, I traced the lines with gold gutta and painted the image with silk dyes. I knew I was going to thread paint certain parts of the design, but I did not decide upon the areas until the painting was dry. I chose certain flowers, leaves and branches to thread paint in order to bring them to the foreground.

I added Swarovski crystals and sprayed the entire piece with irridescent gold paint to give it some shine.

Here's a sample of a piece of "Moda" fabric I used to paint this ATC.

This ATC is for a trade with one of my new blogger friends.

Do you have "What ifs"?
Fannie

12 comments:

Noel said...

HI Frannie, it's good to be blogging again. I've missed so much. I love this "What It"...it's a beauty as always....:)
Can you tell me what "Moda" fabric is and how it's different from other fabric? Why this fabric over something else?
Oh btw....I love my winning FATC...it's a beauty. I'm so happy to have a piece of your art to admire.
Hugs,
Noel

Sherry said...

Wonderful piece Fannie. I have "What ifs" all the time. Trouble is, I don't follow through with them, therefore missing a lot. Do you get all your guttas from Dharma?

Forever Young said...

'what if this weather in london now continues till the end of summer?'
ha ha i think we'd all faint in disbelief! hugs

Lise said...

Hi! I'm visiting for the first - but certainly not the last- time via Guzziesue's blog. Love your work.

Jacq said...

I like your "what If". It is always fun to see where the spirit leads you.

Fannie said...

Hi, Noel. Thanks for your question. You're helping me be a better blogger.

"Moda" is a well-known fabric manufacturer, and a favorite of many quilters because of its high quality fabrics.

Why did I choose this fabric over other fabrics? No specific reason other than I had this in my stash, and it was what I needed--a printed tone-on-tone fabric that would blend well with my silk dyes to create the desired colors--to test my "What if" idea.

I'm glad you appreciate the FATC, as I appreciate your friendship.

Welcome Back!

Fannie said...

Hi, Sherry. I imagine your "What ifs" are wonderful, original ideas.

I purchased some of my guttas from Dharma, and some from Dick Blick.

Thanks for looking.

Fannie said...

Hi, Forever Young. It sounds like you're enjoying the weather in London. I hope it lasts a good long time.

Fannie said...

Welcome, Lise! Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment. It's always good to make new friends and share ideas and art. You're welcome back anytime.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Jacq. Being led by the spirit--that's an inspiring phrase.

Diana Evans said...

that will be one lucky person getting your wonderful fiber atcs...this is another wonderful piece of art...great work Fannie!

Fannie said...

Hi, Diana. From your posts, it looks like you're having fun with ATCs too. You have great work there. That's great!