Saturday, May 17, 2008

Night Landscape--WIP

Night Landscape, Mixed Media on Canvas, (8" x 24")
Fannie Narte


Here is my progress with "Night Landscape." Click HERE to go to a previous post to see what this painting looked like before I added trees, bushes, a house and a border to anchor the bottom. Monday is the last lesson for Karyn Gartel's "Mixed Media Landscapes" online class.

This class is allowing me to explore different media and a different style--acrylic paints, gesso and whimsy. Stepping outside of one's comfort zone can be scary, but it usually offers growth and surprises--both pleasant surprises and not-so pleasant ones. I think exploring anything new can be scary because it leaves one feeling vulnerable. Most people like to see where they're going. Oftentimes I don't even know where I'm going--so I'm good with trying new things. ;-D

Do you find it easy to step outside of your comfort zone?
Fannie

11 comments:

quiltcrazygal said...

Fannie - I love the Night Landscape, the colors are stunning. I have enjoyed your work in the this class, I may have to explore something new like this in the future. Thank you! Jenna Louise

Lisa M Griffin said...

Wow! It's looking like you are feeling better about stepping outside your comfort zone because this looks amazing. The colors are so rich! Can't wait to see it with all your final embellishments.

Jacq said...

Your landscape is wonderful I love the colors and the style. Think I will need to take this class in the future.

Cindy said...

This is really cool! Love the shapes and the vibrant color of the house. You're so talented, my friend!

Melinda Cornish said...

you really have captured the "night" aspect.....great job, I love it! Melinda

Melinda Cornish said...

you really have captured the "night" aspect! I really love this, it is great....Melinda

Forever Young said...

no i don't find it easy, but then nor do any of us. good luck.

Regina said...

Hi Fannie- I really like this a lot!
As for stepping out of the comfort zone. It's not supposed to be easy, but that's part of the excitement. For me, I need to turn off the inner critic. I also need to leave time & deadlines go to the wayside, otherwise I'm fretting about "wasting" time.
I recently started a piece that I'd hoped to enter in a competition, but I had to let that go when the piece started going in a different direction than I'd originally envisioned. It's exciting, but it's outside my comfort zone.

Beth said...

Oh this is very cool Fannie! I love it. The colors are so pretty and love the whimsical style. Sounds like this was an interesting class.
I love to experiment, its just a little hard to show people. That is the part that goes outside of my comfort zone! Thanks for sharing.

freebird said...

It is wonderful. Bright colors yet it looks like night. I looked at your link to the previous version. This is so much more. I'd love to see your day next to it - or just to see the day version. You do wonderful work.

Comfort zones. I stay away from competitions and unless I've spent a lot of money on a special project or the project is for a gift, I don't really worry much about success or failure. At least in art stuff. I leave my comfort zone when I leave the art world!

Clevelandgirlie said...

Leap! Leap outside of your comfort zone. I have found THAT is when I create my most satisfying work.

Fannie your recent pieces (night landscape and quilter's journal) are exquisite. You are really a "color diva" and I love your instincts when combining color and textures.