Thursday, May 1, 2008

Silk Painting, by Susan L. Moyer

Silk Painting—The Artist's Guide to Gutta and Wax Resist Techniques
by Susan Louise Moyer
Photography by Dale E. Moyer


If you're interested in learning how to silk paint, this book by Susan Moyer is a must-read. Susan begins with the basics and progresses to intermediate techniques. She states that the intent of her book is two-fold:

  • To teach readers how to become skilled silk painters
  • To inspire readers to learn

She explains about the different materials and tools necessary for success in using this medium, including preparing the silk for painting, transferring designs onto the silk, and the procedure for applying dyes. There are chapters that explain about the use of guttas and wax resists, special techniques, and how to set the dyes. Susan also writes about color theory, color harmony and mixing dye colors. A dye comparison chart in the back of the book eliminates questions by beginners like me, and makes purchasing supplies easier.

Susan has over 190 colorful illustrations in this 144-page book. This is the only book I've used so far in learning how to silk paint. I may buy more books later because I enjoy learning from different artists, but this book has all I need for now.

Source:
Moyer, Susan Louise. Silk Painting--The Artist's Guide to Gutta and Wax Resist Techniques. New York: Watson-Guptill Publications, 1991.

Links:
Susan L. Moyer's Website
Dharma Trading Co.--supplies and tutorials

Enjoy,
Fannie

7 comments:

Jacq said...

Thanks for the information about the book. I have a few silk painting books, but not that one. May need to order it.

Deb said...

Fannie: I just found your blog today through Sue's journalmaking class. I love your work. It's wonderful. Thanks for the tip on this book. I've been wanting to get back to silk painting after trying it out in a workshop many years ago.

Yes, I do find inspiration on your pages.

Diana Evans said...

wonderful post Fannie...it's like you read my mind...I am adding this to my list of things to learn...and can't wait to read more about it...

Have a wonderful day...

Fannie said...

Hi, Jacq. Do you have any silk painting books to recommend to me? I hope you find this book helpful.

Fannie said...

Welcome to my blog, Deb! Thanks for leaving such encouraging comments. I appreciate it very much.

Can you believe how fast our journalmaking class went? Did you complete all five journals? I have the last one to complete. It was fun, wasn't it?

Hope to see you again.

Fannie said...

Hi, Diana~

I'm glad you found this post helpful. I think we read each other's minds--the connection between Texas and Canada is great! ;-D

Thanks for your comments.

Heather P said...

Fannie, thanks for the recommendation! I've been wanting to try silk painting, so I just ordered the book.