Friday, June 6, 2008

Fannie's Fabric Paper Tutorial

Fannie's Fabric Papers
Left: spray painted with metallic paints
Right: metallic paints applied with brush


Fabric paper is easy to create and fun to use in many different projects. This tutorial explains the process of making my style of fabric paper.


SUPPLIES

muslin
paints
white tissue paper
1.5" chip board brush
dried flower petals
plastic trash bag
jar for glue mixture
4 oz. bottle of white glue (makes
approximately 1.25 yards of fabric paper)

GLUE MIXTURE

MY GLUE MIXTURE RECIPE

My glue mixture recipe: One part glue to approximately one-and-one-fourth parts water.

Empty one 4 oz. bottle of white glue mixture into your jar. Leave the bottle of glue upside down in your jar for about five minutes to allow most of the glue to flow into your jar. Fill your empty glue bottle with water, replace its lid, and shake vigorously to loosen the remainder of the glue. Remove lid and pour into your jar. Fill approximately 1/4 of your empty glue bottle with water. Replace lid, shake bottle, and pour into jar. Mix with brush. Your glue mixture is made!

Left over glue mixture can be stored for future use.


STEPS TO MAKING FABRIC PAPER

STEP 1
PREPARE WORK SURFACE

Place a piece of plastic onto your table or work area to protect its surface. I use a white kitchen trash bag.

STEP 2
APPLY GLUE MIXTURE TO MUSLIN

Place your piece of muslin onto the plastic. Apply a generous layer of glue mixture to the surface of your muslin with your brush.

My piece of muslin measures 12" x 20." There's no specific reason for using this size. It's approximately half the size of my white tissue paper, and it was a convenient size to use for my work area.

STEP 3
ADD DRIED FLOWER PETALS


Randomly sprinkle torn pieces of dried petals over the muslin's surface. I used three dried rose flower petals in this tutorial.

My basic fabric papers have dried flower petals or leaves in it to provide texture and interest. I find that it also creates interesting values when combined with paints.

Tip: At this point, you can add other elements such as cut pieces of threads, paper, angelina fiber, silk fiber, etc. The possibilities are endless.

STEP 4
ADD ONE SHEET OF TISSUE PAPER

Place one sheet of white tissue paper over the surface. Gently tap the tissue paper into place with your fingertips starting from the center moving outwards towards the edges. This helps to reduce the formation of air bubbles.

STEP 5
APPLY GLUE MIXTURE OVER TISSUE PAPER

Gently apply a generous layer of glue mixture over the tissue paper. At this point, the tissue paper is very fragile.

Tip: If you keep your brush moist with the glue mixture, you can avoid tearing the tissue paper. However, if you accidentally tear it, there's no need for concern. Tear a piece of tissue from your stash, place it over the damaged area, and secure it by gently applying a thin layer of glue with your brush.

Hurray! Your fabric paper is done! Congratulations!

CHOICES

1. You can let the fabric paper dry overnight and add color later.

2. You can use a heat gun to dry it.

3. You can immediately add paints, which is what I did.

Additional Tips: If you want to use Neocolor II watersoluble wax pastels to color your fabric paper, it is best if the fabric paper is completely dry before application.

Acrylic paints, including spray paints, can be added to wet or dry fabric paper.


ADDING PAINTS

MAKE YOUR OWN SPRAY PAINTS

Although paints can be applied with a brush, my favorite way of adding color to fabric paper is to use spray paints. Here is an easy way to make your own spray paints.

Mix your own paints using your favorite brands and colors and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray bottles can be found in most craft or hobby stores. I found this plastic spray bottle in the fabric paints section of my local hobby store. It's approximately 6.5 inches tall and 1.5 inches in diameter. You could also recycle empty spray bottles from body splashes, etc.

MY SPRAY PAINT RECIPE

My spray paint recipe: one part paint to approximately two to two-and-a-half parts water, depending on the brand of paints you use and your choice of color intensity. You may want to experiment with your paints to find a recipe that suits you.

These are the bottles of paints I used to mix my spray paints, and which were used in this tutorial:

Left to right: Metallic Emerald Green,
Metallic Solid Bronze, Metallic Garnet Red,
Metallic Amethyst, Metallic Classic Gold

METALLIC EMERALD GREEN PAINT APPLIED

While still wet, the fabric paper was sprayed with green paint.

METALLIC SOLID BRONZE PAINT ADDED

Bronze spray paint was applied over the green paint.

METALLICS AMETHYST AND GARNET RED PAINTS ADDED

Purple spray paint was added to the left side of the fabric paper, and red spray paint was added to the right side.

SAME PAINTS APPLIED WITH BRUSH

Using a brush to apply paint to the surface will give you a different look. The same colors that were used as spray paints were applied to the above fabric paper with a brush. Notice the difference?

One is not better than the other. It's just different. You could use whichever technique suits your needs: spray or brush application.

Here are a couple of links to fabric papers I've made:

FABRIC PAPERS 1
FABRIC PAPERS 2

THE END--YOU MADE IT!

I hope this tutorial makes sense. If not, please leave a comment to this post or e-mail me, and I will make clarifications. If you have any questions, please post it here so we can all learn together.

INSPIRATION

Here are links to some of my favorite projects with fabric paper:

FABRIC PAPER PURSE
GIFT BOX
COASTER
JOURNAL
PANSY PAPER QUILT
IRIS PAPER QUILT

Here's a link to all of my fabric paper projects.

YOUR TURN!

Now it's your turn to play. Use one of my projects as inspiration or come up with an original idea. There are no boundaries. The world is your play space. Use your imagination and create from your heart!

Imagine, Create, Inspire . . .

Have fun!
Fannie

11 comments:

Doreen K. said...

Fannie, Thank you for such wonderful clear instructions. I will have to play this weekend. Love your papers.

Jacq said...

What a great tutorial.

Sherry said...

Wonderful! Thanks for the tute. I know I'll be trying this, most likely this afternoon. You are such a treasure!

Melissa & Emmitt said...

Wow Fannie!
Thank you for the great tutorial! I am going to have to try this!
:) Melissa

Forever Young said...

my goodness, what a lengthy process. you are very patient. lovely result.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Wow! I love this and think it would make a lovely project to attempt with the kids on the deck this summer. I think my sons would love adding the paint mixture and my daughter would just have a ball with the entire process. Great post, Fannie. Thanks for sharing.

Regina said...

Very clear instructions and the pictures are very helpful. I'll have to try this when things settle down here.
Thanks for sharing.

kiwicarole said...

You make this process look so easy Fannie! I will try this technique too. Oh and Dove, if you're reading this, you aren't alone with the squido thing! hahaha!
Thanks for teaching me new things Fannie!
:) carole

Fannie said...

Thanks for your feedback to this tutorial, everyone! I really do appreciate it.

Carole, we teach each other. I learn many things from your blog posts. Keep it up, please. Isn't sharing nice?

Dove, your questions always help me improve my writing skills. I appreciate it. Please don't stop asking questions.

Clevelandgirlie said...

Great tutorial Fannie. Thank you! Isn't that "Folkart" paint and metallic paint great. What is it about 89cents or so and the colors are fabulous. Sabrina and I just gobble that stuff up. I paint fabric, wood, paper, etc. with it. I heat set it with an iron and a little textile medium.
Beautiful stuff going on here girl!

Melinda Cornish said...

great tutorial...you are always so sweet and upbeat! Melinda