Sunday, June 29, 2008

If You Can't Sing, Hum

"If You Can't Sing, Hum," Mixed Media, (2.5" x 3.5")
Fannie Narte
For Sale in My Etsy Shop

"CAN'T" DOES NOT EXIST

There are some lessons that one learns and never forgets. A grade school teacher once told our class: "There is no such thing as "can't." She then explained that the word "can't" and its meaning does not exist. From that moment, I believed that anything was possible because as my teacher stated, "can't" does not exist.

SET A GOAL

Many times throughout my life, I've attempted to achieve certain goals believing that all I needed to do was create a plan and work hard to achieve it. Such as the time we needed a second car because I was fatigued from driving my husband to and from work each day so that I could have use of the car for school drop-offs and pick-ups during the day.

CREATE A PLAN AND WORK HARD

I didn't mind walking my daughter to school, but what about when it rained? And it rained many times. We couldn't afford to buy a second car. So I decided to "earn" a car. I came up with my plan, and worked my plan.

DESIRE MUST BE STRONG TO OVERCOME OBSTACLES

Sales was totally out of my comfort zone, but my desire to earn my car was greater than feeling uncomfortable. I learned how to make cold calls so the person on the other end of the phone line didn't hang up in the middle of my first sentence. I learned the door approach. The mirror was my audience when I practiced my sales presentations. I learned whatever I needed to learn in order to be successful.

PIPE DREAM

Believing that my goal was unreachable, my family and friends told me that I was attempting a "pipe dream." I must admit, when I first heard that term, I didn't understand its meaning and ignored the comment. I'm glad I ignored the comment because had I understood its meaning, I may not have achieved management in Tupperware and "earned" my car. That's right, I was once a Tupperware manager with my own district. I think this is where I learned much of my business, management and marketing skills, which proved to be of value many times throughout my life.

AGE BRINGS CHANGES

Now that I'm older, I've come to realize that there are certain things that one may not be able to do, which has nothing to do with believing or not believing in possibilities. Age can make one wiser and more knowledgeable. Age can also change what one was able to do and no longer is able to do with ease. Things don't work the same when one is older.

BELIEVE IN POSSIBILITIES

However, as one who believes in possibilities and miracles, I believe no matter what situation one finds himself or herself, goals are still achievable. One may need to adjust the goal a bit, but anything is possible.

If you can't sing, hum.

Source:
Bird image is from Retro Cafe Art Gallery.

What do you dream?
Fannie

13 comments:

StegArt said...

I like how you add the piano keys to the lower portion of this piece. PS...like the new blog look.

Melissa & Emmitt said...

Hi Fannie!
I love learning more about you and your life experiences! I love Tupperware! Containers are my favorite things! Ha!
Your blog look wonderful! How did you change the background? I know some html and css but have always been afraid to mess up my blog. Any advice you have to give would be so appreciated!
:) melissa

Beth said...

Hi Fannie! Nice new look to your blog! Thanks for the inspiration today.

TracyB said...

Fannie, you're new look is WONDERFUL!!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Uplifting as always and I really love this new series of musical birds. They are exquisite and I really love the piano keys that lay at the bottom of each card.
Nice, new look on your blog too!

kiwicarole said...

WoW! A new look Fannie! Very nice. I love your latest piece, looks like the bird is recessed back. Love your colours too!
hugs Carole

ValGalArt said...

I love your words and art! Your whole blog is like a breath of fresh and beautiful air :)

NANCY LEFKO said...

wonderful post and beautiful image...

both very inspiring.

Kuuipo said...

That's right...no such thing as "can't"; period. ;) :B

Diana Evans said...

wow Fannie...this is a wonderful post and I too think anything is possible if you truly believe in yourself...

hugs
Diana

Fannie said...

Hello and thanks, Everyone!

Thanks for the vote of confidence on my blog makeover to match my new website. Honor did a great job! I kept the black background from my old blog layout and added a fresh look to the page. I'm still creating a piece that will go on the Home Page.

Thanks for "flying" by and visiting my blog. I appreciate the cheers from all of you!

freebird said...

I can't sing and I can't hum but I use color to express my soul's yearning and praising (which is what I think singing does). I guess God didn't want everyone to have the same voice or kind of voice. I also just bought a canary hoping he'll sing for me a bit - he's orange, a little different, so I couldn't resist - besides I remember my grandma having one and he makes me think of her.

Noel said...

I can't carry a tune but I'm glad when I try to sing I'm a sweet sound to His ears!!!

Hugs,
Noel