Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sketchbook Journal

Sketchbook Journal, (5.74" x 8.75")
Fannie Narte

Time for another surprise!

This is a sketchbook journal which includes some nice acid free 110 lb white card stock and some acid free kraft paper.

Here's a peek at what the insides of the cover and back look like.

Surprise, Kate!

The title page is a stenciled image using slow-drying pigment inks and heat embossed with clear powder. I enjoy working with these inks. They blend nicely.

ABOUT KATE

Kate is a multi-talented freelance artist who has discovered her unique style. Read her article, "Who Are You? Discovering Your Style" published in "The Prairie Wind" newsletter. As I wrote in my sidebar, I'm in the exploration phase of my art with the goal of finding "my style." Kate has found her style, and her article addresses this subject. It's a great read. If you're searching for who you are--as an artist--this article may inspire you.

She has another interesting article, "The Art of Networking: Why I Blog." I've always believed that blogging was an excellent marketing tool and have encouraged other artists to create their own blogs. In addition, I've learned that blogging has included me in a wonderful creative and supportive community. Kate addresses these subjects in her article. This is another inspirational read.

To read more about Kate, visit her blog and her website.

HOW DO I CHOOSE WHO GETS A SURPRISE?

Having giveaways are fun, but I prefer giving surprises. There isn't a method to what I do. Periodically, I place the names of those who have left comments to my blog and draw a name out of a hat. That's it. Easy and simple. Your turn may be coming soon!

The gifts I give away as surprises are usually ideas that I'm playing with, and I'm always playing. Eventually, these ideas become items I will add to my Etsy shop. More playing to do. ;-D

You may be next.
Fannie

9 comments:

freebird said...

She is going to be surprised all right. That's a neat way to do things.

You must be playing with your art toys a lot or you are very fast. You get a lot done!

Jacq said...

Great journal. Do you cut your own stencils for the names?

Sherry said...

Kate will surely be surprised. I still need to try that technique again and see if I can get the powders a little thicker without all the bubbling.

Fannie said...

Hi, Timaree! Thanks for visiting. Yes, she will be surprised!

Jacq, thanks for your question and for helping me become a better blogger/writer. Kathleen's name was first printed onto fancy paper, then I applied the stenciling over her name. I appreciate you keeping me "honest." ;-B

Hi, Sherry, some bubbling will happen if it's on thin papers. It rarely happens on card stock. It doesn't on fabric paper. ;-D Tutorial coming soon . . .

Melissa & Emmitt said...

Hi Fannie!
I LOVE the journal! You are such a wonderful and generous person!
Your Serenity Aceo is beautiful!
xo
Melissa

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie...Kate is an angel and will love this!!!! you have one of the biggest hearts ever!! bless you dear friend...

hugs and have a great weekend!

Lisa M Griffin said...

What a thoughtful and lovely gift. You truly are a special woman who is inspires daily. I think you are well on your way to a defining style!
Love your new header as well.
Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend,
Lisa

Grooveycrafts said...

Aww how sweet that you surprise people on your blog :).

I know the feeling of wanting to experiment first before you actually start selling items and this is definately the best way to go about it as I end up hoarding stuff because I don't know what to do with things... I do have an UP for grabs section on my blog which hasn't yet been all that successful but I think doing it this way will work as you know those people are reading and will appreciate what you give.

ScaryCheri said...

I was one of those surprised and I love my journal. Thank you again Fannie. I would love to see your tutorial. I adore the birds you are using in your art. So folksy? Is that a word? lol. The background colors really make the bird seem tpo sing off the page. Love your canvas on the next post also. Keep up the beautiful art. Hugz, Scary