Saturday, July 5, 2008

Take That Leap

Take That Leap, Mixed Media, (5" x 7")
Fannie Narte

This bird is contemplating leaving home. What is holding him back?

Bird image is from Retro Cafe Art.

FIRST TRIP AWAY FROM HOME

When I was about ten years old, I took my first trip away from home. It was scary not only because I traveled to a neighboring island by myself without the safety and security of my parents, but that trip was also my first flight. At that time, Aloha Airlines used propeller systems in their planes.

NO CHORES!

I barely slept the two weeks before my trip because I was excited about spending the summer with my cousins. I was looking forward to swimming, adventures, shopping--and no chores!

HOMESICK

After the first week, I was homesick. I enjoyed my cousins and we had a great time, but I missed my parents and my baby sister. My parents asked me to stay one more week--they thought that if I had one more week of fun, I may change my mind--and if I still wanted to return home, they would send my ticket. They sent my ticket, and I went home.

TEENAGE PERSPECTIVE

My next trip away from home was a school trip, again to a neighboring island. This time I was a teenager, and traveling with my school friends by airplane and staying at a hotel was a treat! I didn't want to return home.

TAKE THAT LEAP

Age, perspective and comfort level are a few of the many factors that determine whether or not one chooses to leave their comfort zone. I believe all first experiences can be scary. Fear of the unknown can be paralyzing. However, there are so many exciting adventures and new discoveries waiting for each one of us if we just "Take That Leap."

GIVEAWAY--DAY 3

"Take That Leap" is a part of my Giveaway. Visit my previous post for more details.

WHAT I LEARNED IN THE PAST YEAR--3

ETSY SHOPS

If you're interested in selling your art, many options are available. There's eBay, Zazzle, Cafe Press, your own Website, and there's Etsy. I discovered Etsy last fall and decided at that time to set a goal to open my own Etsy Shop. You can find a variety of homemade items in any media in a multitude of styles. I like shopping at Etsy for special gifts. I also like purchasing art by my favorite artists at their Etsy shops.

NANCY LEFKO

"Fly," Original ACEO, (2.5" x 3.5")
Copyright by Nancy Lefko

I met Nancy Lefko through a weekly challenge group called Illustration Friday. She is one of my favorite collage artists, and I have been admiring her work for some time. I recently purchased one of her treasures, an ACEO titled "Fly--Seize That Dream."

FREEDOM OF INTERPRETATION

Nancy's approach to her art allows each viewer to emotionally connect with each of her pieces by allowing the viewer to discover for himself or herself their own interpretation of her work.

"Fly" will hang in my studio and provide inspiration as I create my own art and as I "seize that dream."

VISIT NANCY

Visit Nancy's Website, Etsy Shop, or her blog to learn more about her and her art.


Take That Leap!
Fannie

13 comments:

Melissa & Emmitt said...

Hi Fannie!
I love your new piece from nancy. thank you for her links. she is an amazing artist.
you are so insightful. i always love reading everthing you have to say. it is very uplifting.
:) melissa

NANCY LEFKO said...

Fannie, my dear, thank you so much for this place of honor on your blog. I am MOST grateful for your kind words and it has been MY pleasure to get to know you.

Your "take that leap" collage is so beautiful on so many levels and speaks to me the way that I hope MY art speaks to others. It stirs in me the spirit to take chances and have faith in myself, come what may.

Your post has made my day...thank you so much.

Scrappy Cat said...

Another lovely piece of artwork today. I always enjoy your mix of art and philosophy. I don't remember being homesick the first time I was away from home as a child, which would have been going to Campfire Girls camp. I do remember it being kind of scary though, and it didn't involve flying. And of course it was only a week. Thanks for reminding me.

kiwicarole said...

Hi Fannie, I love your little birdhouse and bird! I tend to think that most times there is a door that stops you from taking that leap! Carole ;)

Regina said...

Fannie-
I really enjoy your collage series with the piano keys at the bottom. Music is as much a part of my artistic soul as the visual arts. For years, sitting at the piano was a way to transport me.
The combination of the bird, house & music really touch me.
xo

kamewh said...

Such a beautiful, inspirational piece!

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie....lovely that you have one of Nancy's great ACEOs...her art is beautiful and she is one of my favorites too...

wonderful post!!!

Brigitte (SE. Louisiana) said...

Fannie....I am really loving this new series you are creating with the collage and the piano keys. The colors are just beautiful. Also, thanks for the link to Nancy. I enjoy seeing her work also.

laughingwolf said...

oh my, now that's clever! :)

TracyB said...

LOVE the birdhouse!! Would love to see a real one made up like this!!

morningDove said...

Take that Leap is a gorgeous piece. Has the piano bar become a part of your signature? Congrats on opening your Etsy store-you have taught me so much.

Fannie said...

Thanks for Taking That Leap, Everyone! ;-D

Melissa, Brigitte~~sharing friends makes life "warm." Enjoy Nancy's art. She's great.

Nancy, I'm glad I could add some joy to your day. It was my pleasure.

Thanks, Scrappy Cat--Cheryl, Regina, Diana, Laughingwolf, Tracy!

Carole, thanks for sharing your ideas . . . door? . . . roadblocks come in many forms. The question is, what will you do when you approach one of them. I try not to let them deter me, but at times it can be difficult. Sometimes what gets me beyond the door is when I visualize an image that I want but cannot have unless I open the door. Some of my images are my husband, my daughters or grandchildren. ;-D

Welcome, Kamewh!

Dove, yes, I guess the piano keyboard is one of my signatures. It wasn't a deliberate move . . . just happened. We learn from each other when we share. Thanks for sharing your art and life with me.

Noel said...

Fannie, any one of your lovely piecs of art would be a joy to receive.
Hugs,
Noel