Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Words Can Make the Heart Sing

Words Can Make the Heart Sing, Art Quilt, (5" x 7")
Fannie Narte


This art quilt was made with Neocolor II Watersoluble Wax Pastels on cotton fabric. What this photograph doesn't pick up is the beautiful and dainty silver sparkles that are a part of the fabric.

"WORDS CAN MAKE THE HEART SING"

I consider myself blessed to have had many opportunities to experience the results of showing love and care, and sharing my love of music.

MUSIC CAN HEAL THE SPIRIT

A good number of my memories about how love and music can heal the spirit come from my experience as an entertainer. One of my family's favorite venues of performing is at nursing homes. The audience is special and most appreciative. At this particular nursing home, the audience was typical--laughter, applause, singing and dancing.

MARY

At the end of our show, our family was introduced to a female resident sitting in a wheelchair--I'll call her "Mary." Mary looked to be in the late-40s or early 50s. Her hair was disheveled, her head hung over her chest, and her eyes were vacant but glistening. The staff member stated that since Mary's arrival over two-years prior, she had not exhibited emotions of any kind--until that day.

HUGS, KISSES, AND HEART TO HEART

We did what we normally do when introduced to members of our audience--we showered Mary with gentle hugs and kisses. I talked to her knowing that she would not be able to respond in words. However, I believe that spirits can communicate heart to heart, and that is what Mary and I did.

SPIRITS CONNECTED

Mary didn't show any facial expressions. She kept her vacant expression through our entire visit. The only evidence of our connection were the tears that drizzled down her cheeks and the locking of her frail fingers around my wrist when I said good-bye.

WORDS CAN MAKE THE HEART SING!

That day was another reminder of how important it is to offer words of love and encouragement to everyone, including those who are oftentimes forgotten . . . "Words Can Make the Heart Sing!"


GIVEAWAY--DAY 6

"Words Can Make the Heart Sing" is a part of my 10-day Giveaway. Leave a comment to this post if you want to enter this drawing. I'll also create a similar piece for my Etsy Shop.

WHAT I LEARNED IN THE PAST YEAR--6

SUPPORT CAUSES BY DONATING ART

As artists, selling our art is rewarding and helps to support our addiction to pigments, brushes, pens, dyes and fabric. Participating in fundraisers to support Alzheimer's research, Cancer research and Children's Miracle Network in the past year have been satisfying projects. Donating my art to help these worthy organizations makes me feel that I can effect change in the world one art piece at a time.

Make someone's Heart sing!
Fannie

18 comments:

laughingwolf said...

what a great and beautiful heart you have, fannie!

blessings to you and yours....

Regina said...

"I believe that spirits can communicate heart to heart"
I agree. When Dad was at the nursing home (he had Alzheimer's), some of us would always take music so we could play the piano for Dad & the other residents. After all I've seen, I think that music can be the key to open the lines of communication, however subtle they may be. At the very least, we share our love and let those who are locked in their infirmity know that someone cares.

Lisa M Griffin said...

I love this... how words can make the heart sing. You always have such "gems" to share, not only in your work but in your words as well. Another lovely and intricate piece, very well done!

Heather P said...

Fannie, it made my heart sing to read about Mary. Bless you.

Sherry said...

Fannie, you always finds words and stories to make everyone's Heart Sing. I am so blessed to have you as a dear friend.

NANCY LEFKO said...

Fannie, you are a very special person and how fortunate for Mary that you crossed her path. Your post was beautiful and inspirational, very much like your wonderful art. And also SO filled with heart.

Melissa & Emmitt said...

hi fannie!
i absolutely love this piece. the color and shapes work so perfectly with the heart.
you are such a generous person in everything that you do.
xo
melissa

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

You are so generous with your art! I love seeing your daily posts and what you have created, and also reading about your motivations and dreams.

Scrappy Cat said...

What a beautiful and touching story!

Doreen K. said...

Beautiful....your art, your words and YOU.

morningDove said...

So far this piece has touched my heart the most, bc i believe words can make the heart sing. They are so powerful - out of the heart the mouth speaks. I am sure Mary was a changed woman that day after your visit even though no one recognized it on the outside.

Diana Evans said...

Wonderful post Fannie...this heart is lovely and I whole heartedly agree...donating our art for a special cause makes it all the more worthwhile....

Bless you and your big HEART!!

hugs
Diana

Kate said...

Your post made me cry. The Bible instructs us to visit orphans and widows and those in prison. You did all 3 on that day at the nursing home.

Gayle said...

Fannie,
You are a powerful, profound person. Your art, your words, your actions, YOU are really special. I am so happy you were able to connect with Mary.... and share with us.

Gayle

kiwicarole said...

I love your colours in this piece Fannie, this piece says "Fannie" to me. This is you.
Carole

Noel said...

Oh my a 5x7! I'm learning the power of ones words has on others. Proverbs has many, many scriptures on the tongue, lips and words we speak.....can you tell what I'm studying...vbg!
Hugs,
Noel

quiltcrazygal said...

What a beautiful story. My goal in my career is to teach my kids the importance of service for others. No matter how large or small I believe we can make a difference. Bless you Fannie for your kindness! Cheers, Jenna Louise

Fannie said...

Thank you, Everyone, for your comments to this piece and my writing. I'm happy to know that they have added to your experience as a visitor to my blog. I am touched by the influence it has had upon all of you. Thanks for sharing your hearts with me.

Hi, Jenna Louise. I believe you're teaching your children about service through your 4-H activities, etc.

I believe that when we teach our children how to serve, their capacity to love expands. Generosity, kindness, charity, sacrifice then become a part of their character. If you want to teach a person how to love, teach them how to serve, and they will learn to love those they serve; and those who are being served will love them back. Love and service are companions that travel in a circle of energy that never ends.