Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold, Art Quilt, 8" x 10"
© 2008 Fannie Narte

I painted a piece of white muslin using Neocolor II Wax Pastels to create the raw-edge machine applique for this Sunflower design. The white specks on the petals were created using table salt, which I sprinkled over my painted fabric while it was still wet. The center of the flower is outlined with two rows of yarns and embellished with Swarovski crystals.

HEART OF GOLD

Appearances can sometimes be deceiving. How a person dresses or behaves may not always define a person's true character. Appearances can be a facade to hide insecurities or foster pretense. I believe bad behavior oftentimes surface because of stress or fears.

I know of many people who are rough on the outside, but possess hearts of gold. Many of them are in my family.

CHIEF

My Uncle Arthur has a heart of gold. He has a stern look and can easily make one feel intimidated. Many family members fear him; older family members respect him. I think he's a Teddy Bear. He's my mother's older brother and is considered the patriarch or "chief" of our large family clan.

HUMILITY

He instigates family reunions and offers prayers at family functions. He acts as chief at many cultural festivals in Hawaii. When the family needs help, Uncle is always available. Only a few family members know that Uncle Arthur earned a purple heart while serving our country. I believe his rough exterior is partly due to his experiences in war.

HEART OF GOLD

We experience our own wars. Many of these wars are fought in private or in silence. Under all the rough and harsh exteriors of some, a heart of gold awaits to shine.

AAQI DEDICATION

This quilt will be donated to AAQI to help raise funds in support of Alzheimer's research. It is dedicated to Timaree Cheney and her Uncle Victor Richards, a noted transplant surgeon and researcher who passed from Alzheimer's disease.


Thanks for looking.
Fannie

13 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

what a beautiful post fannie. so true. your new quilt piece is gorgouse. i love the 3d effect of the center of the flower.
xo
m

Sherry said...

Simply beautiful. You have such a heart of gold.

laughingwolf said...

love it, and all sunflowers :)

Fantastic Figments said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVES it!!!!!!!!! Amazing peice and outstanding creativity! Love the different use of mediums. WOW is all I can say! I hope it sells for $10000000000000 ;)

Smooches

quiltcrazygal said...

Fannie, Heart of Gold is just breathtaking! I could just look at it all day! Jenna Louise

quiltcrazygal said...

Fannie, Heart of Gold is just breathtaking! I could just look at it all day! Jenna Louise

Scrappy Cat said...

I love sunflowers, and this one is really beautiful. I enjoyed your comments about appearances being deceiving - what you said is very true. I'm sure we all know people who don't "look" like what they really are - I know I do. Good reminder.

NANCY LEFKO said...

just luscious...

and a lovely post as well...

Honor Bowden said...

Hi Fannie, this is a lovely piece and a wonderful post. You always manage to share such lovely thoughts.

Jacq said...

Your sunflower is wonderful. I really like the texture.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Fannie this is incredible. I love the fibers that you used inside the sunflower, it has so much amazing texture and contrast. I have know many people in my life that hide behind a rough exterior... the face of a lion and the heart of a lamb.
Thanks for sharing.

Diana Evans said...

wonderful work dearest Fannie!!! I just love sunflowers ...they are so meaningful to me and Cole...

thanks for the smile today !

Fannie said...

Thanks, Everyone! I appreciate your continued visits and encouraging comments. We all need validation. Thanks for offering that gift to me.