Friday, August 29, 2008

Just Fly!

Don't Look Down, Just Fly!, Bamboo Postcard, 4" x 6"
© 2008 Fannie Narte

This is the postcard I traded with Tracy Borders.

The background surface of this postcard was created with white and off-white bamboo yarn, which were shredded and heat set between layers of angelina fibers. The tree trunk was painted with Neocolor II Watersoluble Wax Pastels, and thread painted. The bird was a separate unit, which was created by fusing many thin layers of dyed bamboo yarn between many thin layers of angelina fibers. Some of the angelina fibers were left hanging from the bird to create a bit of whimsy. Because Tracy likes "squiggles," I quilted my interpretation of squiggles onto the background surface.

DON'T LOOK DOWN, JUST FLY!

Looking back to the past can offer validation of the progress one has made in life. However, in all things, there are opposites, and finding the balance can be tricky. Looking back can also make one feel hesitant about moving forward into unknown territory.

Once you've made your choice, "Don't Look Down, Just Fly!" Fly, Tracy!



Woven Bamboo Postcard by Tracy
© 2008
Tracy Borders


This is the bamboo postcard I received from Tracy in the exchange. Isn't this simply beautiful?!

Tracy created this innovative and unique woven postcard using her own hand dyed bamboo poplin and cheesecloth. She also added rubber stamping with lumiere, and metal clips. Tracy secured the pieces with black Misty Fuse.

This piece of art will hang in my studio on the wall with art by my favorite artists.

One of the reasons I especially like this piece is because it's so different than my work. Seeing different art takes me out of my one-dimensional creative zone and throws me into a bigger world of creative possibilities. Everytime I look at this piece, I'll remember that bigger world. Thanks, Tracy!

FUNNY COINCIDENCE

Tracy and I normally photograph our art before shipping it, and we both forgot to photograph these postcards. So we each photographed one another's cards and sent the jpegs by e-mail.

CELEBRATE WITH TRACY

Tracy will be celebrating her 100th post soon! Also, she's celebrating her birthday next week. I don't know the exact date of her birthday or how "young" she'll be. To celebrate, she's having a giveaway. Tracy is a wonderful artist, and I imagine her giveaway will be something to "dye" for. Maybe . . . I don't know . . . but I'll be there to help her celebrate and spread some cheer.


Celebrate life, art, exchanges, 100 posts, birthdays . . . friendship . . . nice.
Fannie

6 comments:

Sherry said...

These are fantastic. Love the idea of using bamboo. I do miss dabbling in art. When I set my priorities, I had no clue work would come in as it has. Now there's virtually no time for the art. WHAAA!

Fannie said...

I'm crying with you, Sherry--WHAAA!!! ;-D

Fantastic Figments said...

I WANT A PRINTTTTTTTTTT Fannie this little birdie struck a chrod in me and it is just wnat I needed today. I wish it was for sale I would have bought it in a HEART BEAT! I love it so much. The muted colors the detail the emotion. You never fail to amaze me.


Smooches,
Steph

;) make another and I would buy it... wink wink

Jacq said...

What a nice trade for the both of you.

Maggie R said...

Hi from Maggie waving from sunny Southern Ontario Canada.....
Isn't it amazing what they can do with bamboo !!
I love your birdie card,,,, Nice technique, thanks for sharing.
xoxo
((((hugs)))))
Maggie

Fannie said...

Hi, Steph! I think we all could use encouragement and validation each day of our lives. Sometimes, validation is needed more than once in a day. I hope you find that comfort with each visit here. You are special!

Jacq, thanks for your comments. I loved what I got. I hope Tracy feels the same.

Maggie, yes, bamboo--interesting. I'm learning something new each day. Thanks for your visit.