Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tree

Tree, Fabric Postcard, 4" x 6"
© 2008 Fannie Narte


Today's art was inspired by an image I saw in a magazine while at my hair salon. The image was a framed painting of a white tree against a medium green background. Its simple beauty captured my attention, and I was eager to go home to translate it into an art quilt.

I have an idea for a "companion" piece that will go nicely with this postcard. I may post it tomorrow.

MAGAZINES FOR INSPIRATION

While at the salon, I saw several images in different magazines, which inspired me--shapes, colors, texture . . . they were all yummy!

Before returning home, I "needed" to stop at the drug store to buy some magazines like the ones in the salon. Not one, but "five" magazines jumped out of my hands and into my shopping cart. What could I do? I couldn't refuse them.

MARY ENGLEBREIT'S "HOME COMPANION"

One of the magazines I purchased was Mary Englebreit's "Home Companion." The first page I turned to was a full page ad for Etsy. That got my attention!

Besides the eye candy on every page, the articles in the magazine appeal to a wide audience: home decor, collages, quilters, mixed media, drawing, painting, etc. It even had a Paper Doll page. Paper dolls were a big part of my favorite toys when I was a young girl.

I thought of subscribing to the magazine some time ago, but never got around to it until now.

GIVEAWAY

When you learn something that you're excited about, do you feel like sharing it? I do.

The Rationale

My giveaways cost more than $20 in shipping.

The Prize

A subscription to Mary Engelbreit's "Home Companion."

How to Enter

Leave a comment to this post. A simple picture in a magazine inspired my art for today. Where do you get your inspiration for your art, writing, music, etc.?

One Winner

One winner will be selected from all entries and announced on Monday.

Do you want to play?


Where do you get your inspiration?
Fannie

8 comments:

morningDove said...

I buy that magazing off the newstand and I love it. I get my inspiration from tags on my son's clothing, magazines, books store decorations, architectural details on old buildings. Really all over

I love the white tree.

Regina said...

Inspiration can be found anywhere, but I do like to use magazines. During the past week or so I've been tearing & cutting from old "In Style" magazines I bought to inspire my jewelry designing. Now I'm cutting out words & phrases for some ATC's & postcards which will be posted soon on my blog. I've been practicing drawing faces from magazines, but it can be hard to find a genuine expression on models in fashion ads. Lastly, I pull pages for my inspiration file that have color combos that challenge, please, or inspire me.

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi fannie
i think colors and textures inspire me all the time. of course, emmitt is a huge inspiration, but i love fabrics, magazines, blogs and catalogs.
i get magazines and cut out all the things i like and glue them in the journal you made me.
you are a huge inspiration to me!
xo
m

Regina said...

BTW - your tree is fabulous. I can't wait to see the companion.

Jacq said...

I always have my camera with me and photograph anything that catches my eye. I am usually looking for colors, textures. patterns or something unusual. I then use the photos for inspiration.

TracyB said...

Fannie, I love this piece!!!
It's wonderful!! Love the colors that you used!

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie...this is so sweet of you...you are truly a giving soul...

my inspiration comes from everywhere...but mostly my dreams....

Scrappy Cat said...

I'll have to look for this magazine - I'm not familiar with it. I get inspiration from many places - magazines, billboards, tv, comments, classes, etc.