Wednesday, August 6, 2008

When I Grow Up . . .

Lessons in the Garden, Fabric Postcard, 4" x 6"
Fannie Narte

Lessons in the Sea, Fabric Postcard, 4" x 6"
Fannie Narte

"WHEN I GROW UP, I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE YOU"

Have you ever thought about a statement like that? I did, many times. My life is filled with mentors and people I admire for one reason or another.

Whom do you want to grow up to be like? It could be a parent or parents, teachers, friends, famous people, musicians, actors, actresses, etc.

I WANT TO BE LIKE . . .

I admire the writing style of J.K. Rowling. She captures my attention with her words alone. The movies are bonuses. I admire the singing talents of Christina Aguilera, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and Barbra Streisand. Their vocal ranges and voice control are amazing. I admire the power of influence of Oprah. I admire the artistry of many.

A MARKETPLACE

Wouldn't it be fun to imagine that a marketplace exists where one could go shopping for the characteristics, skills, talents or virtues he or she wants to possess? I know there are many technical, ethical and philosophical problems to this idea, but it's fun to imagine.

POSTCARDS

These postcards were created with the idea: "When I grow up, I want to be just like you." It's for an exchange group through Surface Design. Our challenge was to create a postcard using "bamboo." I didn't know fabric, thread or yarn made from bamboo existed until I read about it in a message in the Surface Design group.

HOW I CREATED THESE POSTCARDS

To create these postcards, I hand dyed and hand painted several lengths of bamboo yarn with Jacquard silk paints and Neocolor II Watersoluble Wax Pastels.

LESSONS IN THE GARDEN

The background was made by sandwiching different colors of silk roving between angelina fibers, which were heat set with an iron.

The main flower, its stem, and the vertical leaves are made from my hand-dyed bamboo yarns. The main flower was needle felted onto the background using dyed yarn. Blue and gold beads were sewn to the centers of the flowers.

LESSONS IN THE SEA

Several strands of yarn were painted with Neocolors, blended with water, and heat set with an iron. These yarns were sandwiched between angelina fibers and heat set with an iron as in the previous postcard.

The fishes were made from my dyed yarns which were needle felted onto organza and stitched onto the background with black thread.

These are the bamboo yarns I dyed and painted to create these postcards.

These postcards are being mailed to artists outside of the U.S. I have two more to create. They'll be slightly different from these two. I'm going to keep those a secret from the recipients. I like surprising people. Surprise T~~!!! ;-D

Whom do you want to grow up to be like?
Fannie

12 comments:

TracyB said...

LOVE the fishies!! Ok I have to admit, mine is not going to be as nice as these :)

TracyB said...

Dang, so I don't get to see what you're sending me?
T~ :)

laughingwolf said...

great work, as always, fannie...

once i knew of jim henson, i wanted to be just like him... later, joseph campbell

Fannie said...

Ha, ha, Tracy! You have to wait to see yours in the mail. ;-D

I respectfully disagree with you--I'm sure your postcard will be awesome and totally you. How about some swirls in the design? ;-D

Fannie said...

Thanks, Laughingwolf! Both Jim Henson and Joseph Campbell are unique and talented "individuals." "Follow Your Bliss"~~Joseph Campbell. Isn't that a great phrase?

Thanks for sharing!

Diana Evans said...

these are beautiful Fannie...I love the details and the flowers and background colour is perfect...

nice to be back to enjoy your work!!!

ALOHA!

morningDove said...

to be like JC Penny who gave away 90% and lived off 10; to be like Reece Howel, who had no money of his own, a man who through daily prayer asked God to provide for all the orphan homes he began and take care of all these orphans(faith)-truly my hearts desire. I love the bamboo cards.

NANCY LEFKO said...

these are amazing Fannie...what you do with fabric and fibers just knocks my socks off !!!

Melissa and Emmitt said...

oh my goodness fannie, these are gorgeous.
i love them and the creative way you made the bamboo hand dyed yarn.
i want to be like you!
xo
melissa

freebird said...

Beautiful. Thanks for telling us how you made them. I haven't tried needlefelting. I like how you dyed the yarn. That sounds like a great idea when you don't need a lot.

I wanted to grow up to be like my Dad. He never said anything that wasn't nice about anyone and he put up with annoyances and problems very well. I haven't succeeded yet but I am trying.

Guzzisue said...

don't want to grow up!!

laughingwolf said...

it's one of my fave quotes, too, fannie! :)