Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dare to Dream

The Legacy, Fabric Collage, 8" x 8"
© 2008 Fannie Narte


Education and the pursuit of higher learning has been one of my passions for most of my adult life. While in high school, my highest aspiration was to graduate; find a good, stable job; eventually get married; raise children and live happily ever after.

DARE TO DREAM

I don’t exactly know when those dreams faded. It might have happened slowly over time like a pot of water on the stove slowly increasing to boiling point. All I know is that when I attended college through a special program for indigent students, something changed, and I began to care. I began to dare to dream.

CLIMBING OUT OF THE BUCKET

What changed? What made me climb out of my bucket and see beyond the horizon? I really don’t know. Could it be my mom’s repeated reminders that I should be grateful for the opportunity of going to college, and that she never graduated from high school because she had to work to help take care of her family?

Image from Enchanted Mercantile


I grew up feeling that the corner was a safe place. No one looks in corners; no one would see me. Spiders build their webs in corners. No one likes spiders; maybe no one likes me.

LEARN, BE SMART

I wouldn’t say that I enjoyed reading, but I read almost every volume of the encyclopedia my mom bought from the peddler. She told me she wanted me to be smart, and that the encyclopedia would help me learn to be smart.

I don’t know if I became smart, but I learned that I could travel the world and meet interesting people without leaving my home. Reading became a favorite pastime. I learned to dream.

IT'S OKAY TO DREAM

Over time, I developed a competitive nature, thanks to my mentors who were also my managers. From them, I learned about the Japanese culture, about honor, and about the importance of respect for self and others. They were the ones who taught me that dreams were possible, and that not only was it okay to dream, but that I “should” dream.


Image from Enchanted Mercantile

Sometimes all someone needs is another person to care enough to tell him or her that it’s okay to dream, and teach him or her how to achieve those dreams.

I did dream, and my mentors taught me how to achieve my dreams.

Image from Enchanted Mercantile

I’m older now, and I’m still dreaming. I returned to college for fun. It was a perceived constructive activity that would help me transition into the empty nest season.

UNEXPECTED SURPRISES

When you take a higher path, and you follow it, surprises and good fortune may unexpectedly appear. The pursuit of a college degree has brought me several surprises. My academic achievements have brought me memberships into several scholarly organizations.



A recent surprise is my induction into the exclusive Cambridge Who’s Who Registry of Executives, Professionals and Entrepreneurs on August 18.

A BIGGER DREAM

After several semesters, my reason for returning to college has developed into yet another dream, a bigger Dream. At this season of life--when age is cruel on the body and the mind—earning a college degree would send a powerful message to future generations, hopefully: Higher education is a choice and a privilege, which should be pursued, preferably at a younger age, despite any obstacles. This is My Dream.

Oh, I understand that not everyone will agree with My Dream. That’s okay. But I still dream that Dream.

Image from Enchanted Mercantile

I grew up feeling that the corner was a safe place. No one looks in corners; no one would see me. Spiders fashion their webs in corners. No one likes spiders; maybe no one likes me.

IT'S OKAY TO BE SEEN

I learned that it’s okay to be seen. I learned that some people like spiders; some people may like me. When I learned to like me, I felt free to dream.

It's okay to Dream. Dream Your Dreams.

Image from Enchanted Mercantile

Dare to Dream.
Fannie

13 comments:

Diana Evans said...

wow Fannie!!! what a wonderful post...filled with all your work and inspiration ...

Congrats on the induction...wow!!!

Sherry said...

Congrats Fannie. Wonderful words of wisdom you are sharing here. So many similarities. I do dream. I did seek higher education late in life, still trying to get the family raised and gone. Hope to continue that education. You are so inspiring.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Fannie, This is just excellent!!! I mean really. This is just wonderful!!! I love article. I feel so inspired right now. You are the shot in the arm that the doctor order! Great blog. I'm adding you to my list. Thanks for your kind words and sharing your wonderful work.
You go girl!

Melissa and Emmitt said...

what a beautiful post fannie.
you are a very special person!
xo
melissa

Jacq said...

What an awesome post. Your dream is wonderful and it is never to late to go after it. I admire you for your tenaciousness.

Lisa M Griffin said...

just beautiful and inspiring Fannie... actually made my eyes well up. As I read it, I kept glancing over at your "Dream" artwork that you sent me... its framed and sits facing my desk, and helping me to keep plugging away to achieve my dreams.
Thank you for all you do to inspire.

Fantastic Figments said...

Hey how about that you did it again! Outstanding and any other adjective that mean stellar! I really have to commend you for being so open it is really great! I didn't know you are back in school. What are you goin for. I really want to go back to be an Art teacher. I have a BA in Public Communication (honestly what was I thinking)! Oh and it doesn't matter who agrees with your dream at least your a brave enough to have one!

Smooches
Steph

morningDove said...

congrats on your honor and recognition. Look forward to many more of these in your life. You are a great artist. i've been reading a book about writing your goals down seems to help you achieve those goals. You go my lady.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Diana!

Keep dreaming your dreams, Sherry!

Hi, Vanessa. Welcome! Glad you found inspiration here. Thanks for stopping by.

Back at you, Melissa!

Jacq, I agree, it is never too late. As long as one is breathing . . . there's still time. ;-D

You are achieving your dreams, Lisa. I see you evolving with each blog post, and I imagine there are more evidences that we cannot see publicly. Keep flying; keep dreaming.

Stephanie, I'm pursuing my degree in art . . . the slow path . . . a class or two each semester.

Hi, Dove, yes, writing goals down have worked for me. I write my year's goals down usually on New Year's Eve for the coming year. I add more goals throughout the year. At the end of the year, while writing the next year's goals, it's amazing to see that most of the goals were achieved. It's a fun process that have worked for me for over 20 years. Test it and let me know how it goes.

NANCY LEFKO said...

wonderful collage and very inspirational post.....you are amazing my friend !!!

mich said...

a couple days ago, I skimmed to post. I took the time today to read and appreciate it. Did you know you are one of my beautiful people? http://eyembellishments.com/embellishments/are-you-one
To anyone who will listen, I've said, when I'm independently wealthy, I'm going to college. Since my 20's I've discovered I love learning. anything. Thank you for the re-enforcement. michele

Heather P said...

Congratulations, Fannie! What a wonderful honor -- and a beautiful post.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Nancy--right back at you.

Hi, Michele. Glad you returned. Life is richer with more learning, isn't it? Life is even richer when we learn and share together. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your visit, Heather.