Sunday, September 14, 2008

FLY

"Fly," Altered Book
© 2008 Fannie Narte


This altered book was inspired by Chapter Four of "Taking Flight," by Kelly Rae Roberts. In "Finding the Sacred in the Ordinary," Kelly Rae states that "Our creative lives are transformed by the inspiration that comes from simply paying closer attention to the abundance that already exists in the ordinary moments of our lives."

A trip to my local resale store resulted in many "ordinary" finds, which will be altered and posted to this blog in the near future. Today's post is an an altered book made from an old Reader's Digest book, which was purchased for only forty cents. Following Kelly Rae's instructions, I created this book photo frame. My "Take That Leap" ACEO is mounted within the frame.

This photograph is darker than real life--sorry about that.

THE CREATION OF "FLY"

I cut the opening with a heavy-duty razor cutter, and created an inner mat for the ACEO by cutting several pages of the book. The pages of the mat were glued and dried. The ACEO was glued to the inner mat, and a few of the pages following the ACEO were then glued to the back of the ACEO.

The Grungeboard letters, "F-L-Y," by Tim Holtz, were painted with acrylic paints and glued to the cover. Buttons were added to the top of the frame.

I'm going to use the remainder of the space in this book to create an art journal about "Flying."

WINGS

Also included in this chapter is a project titled "Creating Wings" by contributing artist, Jennifer Valentine, Kelly Rae's older sister. It is a simple project made from wire and tissue paper. In the chapter, the wings are a part of the vintage photo frame. I may glue a set of these wings to the back of one of my girls or anything else that will help with the idea of soaring.

This project took me outside my creative circle. I felt like I took flight. Thanks Kelly Rae and Jennifer!


Fly!
Fannie

12 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi fannie
this post is absolutely wonderful. i love your altered journal and your inspirations and teachings.
wow!

Scrappy Cat said...

Your book is gorgeous!

Honor Bowden said...

What a great idea! I'm going to give this a go... thanks for sharing. x

Fantastic Figments said...

amazing idea although you are always full of them! I had a good find this weekend I posted it on my page if you want to take a gander.. I love the colors that were used on the altered book :) and of course my dear Fannies favorite motivational saying FLY and boy do you soar!

Smmoches,
Steph

NANCY LEFKO said...

Sad to say I have had Kelly Rae's book for a couple of weeks and have been unable to find the time to read it....sure, I skimmed it when it first arrived because I was so eager to see it, but I never got any farther. Your post has inspired me to "make time." And I know just what you mean about typos....for whatever reason, maybe the teacher in me...spelling errors make me nuts. But you are right...it doesn't define the book...it just bugs some of us :) The piece that you made for your ACEO is stunning....you have such a gift for making beauty in this world !!

paulavicente.artfactu said...

Hi lovely Fannie, this´s absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Have a nice week.

Regina said...

I like what you've started here. I picked up some "vintage" RD Condensed books several months ago, but I haven't been able to let myself "deface" them. That's my biggest problem with altered art. I find something to alter & then I have trouble actually doing it because I get so sentimental.
I'm looking forward to future posts on what you do with this book. xo

Jacq said...

Fannie, what a wonderful start on a great idea. I shall have to look into buying this book.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Melissa and Cheryl! Nice to see you.

Honor, have fun with this project. I hope to see it posted on your blog. ;-D

Steph, looks like we're on a similar path. Your find went through a wonderful transformation. I enjoyed all the pics showing its evolution. Thanks for sharing!

Hi, Nancy. I appreciate your encouraging comments. Yes, typos drive me nuts too. But I try to tamper those feelings knowing that I, too, make a lot of typos, and I hope I don't drive others crazy with them. ;-D

Hi, Paula. Hope you had a great weekend. Nice to see you.

Regina, yes, defacing a book is difficult to do; but "altering" it may be easier. Ha, ha! Play on words; trick the mind.

Hi, Jacq. I can imagine the lovelies you'll create from the projects in this book. You have a special touch for taking the instructions in a project and making it your own. Fly, Jacq!

Sherry said...

I've always wanted to try the altered book, but not sure I have the created juices to alter one. This is great.

Fannie said...

Hi, Sherry. My first sighting of an altered book was a few months ago. I had no interest and had no desire to think about it . . . now I have new goals, creating art journals. My interests have expanded. Not only am I interested in altered books, but I'm interested in altered anything. ;-D

Jennifer Valentine said...

LOVE this, and so sorry it took so long to find.