Sunday, September 7, 2008

From My Library--"Making Pearls"


Several books in my library offer inspiration, change and a new perspective for times when I feel one dimensional. Jeanne Carbonetti’s books offer me new creative insights during times when I feel I need a change.

WE ARE ALWAYS CREATING

Jeanne approaches her art with the ideas of the Tao, “the essence of life,” the ideas of Zen, and the ideas of “Yoga.” She states, “Creation isn’t something we do only on Saturdays or only when we take a class; we are creators always.” I agree with her sentiment that “we are part of a worldwide web of creative force,” and that “we affect each other.” (Making, 12)

“MAKING PEARLS—Living the Creative Life”

Jeanne states that we are continuously in the cycle of pearl-making, creating something we love out of life’s experiences. She identifies seven cycles of a creative life and explains and explores each cycle. She claims that “when we are in rhythm with the creation cycle, . . . work becomes joyful and meaningful.” (Making, 12)

Whether or not you agree with her ideas, this book offers change—a different way of seeing, thinking, learning and creating. This book invited me to create by digging into the recesses of my soul and allowing its contents to spill onto my paper without judgment and without fear.

Jeanne’s art is abstract and figurative, and they’re thought-provoking pieces. If you prefer realistic art, this book may not be for you. However, if you want to explore beyond the “usual” world and into the world of possibilities, then you may enjoy this read.

Source:
Carbonetti, Jeanne. Making Pearls--Living the Creative Life. New York: Watson-Guptill Publications, 2001.

Make Pearls!
Fannie

5 comments:

Diana Evans said...

wow Fannie...what a great read....I will have to read this book....

Jacq said...

This sounds like a great book, I'll have to add it to list. thanks for sharing.

freebird said...

I'll look this up. I like hearing how people live creatively and I like abstract art for the most part. Thanks for the review.

Scrappy Cat said...

Sounds like a really great book - I'll have to look for it!

Fannie said...

Thanks for your comments! I'll share more books from my library in coming weeks. It's a way for me to share because I care. ;-D