Sunday, September 14, 2008

FROM MY LIBRARY--"Taking Flight"

"Taking Flight--Inspiration & Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings," by Kelly Rae Roberts. Ohio: North Light Books, 2008.

FIVE STARS

This book has all of my five key considerations that give it a "Five Star" rating. It has visual appeal on the front and back covers. There are over 35 beautiful photographs of art by Kelly Rae and guest artists on the inside.

If I were to write a book, I would follow a similar outline because it includes everything that is important to me: inspiring words, including other artists, sharing projects and journaling. This book includes seven thought-provoking chapters, interviews with seven guest artists, seven projects inspired by guest artists and incorporated into Kelly Rae's art, and blank journal pages with question prompts included in each chapter. It has all the elements that make for a great learning experience: reading/learning, activity, writing, inspiration. Excellent!

SPEAKING MY TRUTH

I don't know why--maybe because I worked as a court transcriber, and accuracy and perfection was a part of the job--but I have a pet peeve about errors in publications, including my blog. I found several "typos" sprinkled throughout the book. All right. I know I'm being picky, and it doesn't change the value of the content or the book, but those errors got my attention. I don't look for typos, but they just scream at me while I'm reading. In defense of this book, I notice typos in almost every book I read.

So why did I choose to mention it here? Maybe because of my innate desire to speak freely. Maybe because Kelly Rae's sixth chapter, "Speaking Our Truth" inspired the idea that we should "allow ourselves to be honest about where we are--creatively, emotionally and spiritually." She states that when we allow ourselves to be honest, "we begin to nurture a truth inside us that may want to be revealed."

THE WORTH OF A BOOK; THE WORTH OF A PERSON

The truth inside me that wants to be revealed: Typos, as with human frailties, do not define the worth of a book.

Kelly Rae states: "Embracing our vulnerabilities doesn't show weakness. Rather, it simply reveals honesty and truth about what's in our hearts; it gives our creative wings the freedom to discover what's ahead."

I embraced my vulnerability to state what I would normally keep to myself. In doing so, I was able to go to that place within my heart and share what I believe, and that is--human weaknesses do not define the worth of a person.

YOU ARE ENOUGH

You are enough. No matter what skills or talents you think you "don't" have--you are enough. You may not be as good as him or her, and you may wish you were like him or her. Those are real human thoughts, and should be acknowledged for what they are. However, that doesn't change the fact that "You are enough."

This book has inspired me to think about "my truths," however insignificant and "picky" they may be. It led me to a more significant truth and put me on a path of self-discovery.

A GIFT FOR GIRLFRIENDS

This would make a great book club selection. I imagine girlfriends having lunch and discussing the ideas, projects and inspiration found in this book.

Follow Kelly Rae's suggestion to "give your creative spirit permission to create . . . with a free-spiritedness that comes from telling the truth as you know it."

This is a Five Star book. If I could, I would buy a copy for all of my girlfriends. ;-D

Visit Kelly Rae's blog for a Q&A about her techniques and projects mentioned in this book.

Thanks for an inspirational read, Kelly Rae!

Stretch your wings and take flight!
Fannie

5 comments:

Regina said...

Fannie,
You have brought up one more thing we have in common. I often feel disappointed in all the typos found in modern publishing. At a family gathering, I was commenting about the glaring errors I had seen in the newpaper that week. My step-niece pointed out how the newspapers are struggling financially and making drastic staffing cuts (her husband had just been spared a layoff at a newspaper.) To me, it still doesn't excuse typos in a headline, which is what I started the topic on.
Now I will think of you when I see those errors. And please wink when you see my mistakes. I'll do the same for you. ;)

morningDove said...

what a wonderful idea - maybe you should start a group online called Gift for Girlfriends. I would be one of the first to join. Love the eye candy cover of Kelly Rae's book. The book addict has ordered at your command. lol.

Fannie said...

Hi, Regina. Yes, errors in a newspaper's headline would be "loud."

I will wink . . . Although I try very hard to "clean up" my writing, I, too, make a lot of typos, and I hope I don't drive others crazy with them. Here's to hoping that others will wink at my mistakes! ;-D

Gift for Girlfriends would make a nice title for a group. What do you see as the group's mission?

freebird said...

I love what you say about "you are enough". That validates my past weekend. My granddaughter went to her first gymnastics meet of the year (and it's her second season competing). She didn't win any awards but she did get an overall score qualifying her for the regional meet later on. I saw her a year ago and the improvement is astounding. My daughter wanted to make her feel better by letting her pick dinner or a treat but her dad thought that would be pandering to a poor performance (which it wasn't - it just wasn't at the top). WE wanted to celebrate HER and her effort not an award. This girl has worked harder than all the others to catch up to them as they've all been doing this since they were tiny girls. She loves gymnastics and all the work involved. She is "enough" just as she is. Awards might make her happy but they don't define all her effort, enthusiasm and pure love for the sport. We thought her dad was out of line and you just supported that thought. How many kids get slammed down to nothing because they have to perform for awards and winning games instead of the love of what they are doing? Thankyou so much.

Gift for Girlfriends mission should be celebrating each person's uniqueness and lifting each other up - hmmm, sounds like your blog but perhaps a little more interactive?

Fannie said...

Hi, Timaree. Sorry to hear about your granddaughter's experience. There are so many definitions of "winner." In my book, everyone is a winner. To me, winning doesn't mean a person wins a first-place trophy. Everybody is at different stages in "growing up." For some, winning is breathing. For others, it might be breathing and getting up from bed. Still others, it may mean participating in an event, such as your granddaughter.

I believe that when we celebrate "participating" in life's events--regardless of winning first prize, or not--we provide encouragement for a job well done. And a job well done, indeed, is something to celebrate.

In my book, anything that celebrates participating promotes confidence and movement towards a "winning attitude." To think that celebrating one's participation in an event would promote anything "less" might be fear-based. I prefer to live life based on "courage," the courage to enter a competition, knowing first place is not probable; the courage to dance, knowing one has a handicap; the courage to sketch, knowing one can't see.

Your granddaughter is courageous. I celebrate her.