Friday, October 24, 2008

Follow Your Heart's Voice and FLY!

Follow Your Heart's Voice and FLY!, Mixed Media Original Painting, 8" x 8"
© 2008 Fannie Narte
For Sale in My Etsy Shop


Sit
at the feet
of the Elders.

Embrace their wisdom.

Look upward.

Then
follow
your heart's voice
and FLY!


This is an original mixed media painting on an 8" x 8" gallery profile (1-3/8"), 100% Cotton Duck canvas, with solid wood frame. It is hand-stretched and back stapled. The sides are collaged and painted. Signed, dated and ready to hang or frame.

THE INSPIRATION

History is filled with lessons and wisdom. Books are filled with knowledge. Our Elders, or "Kupuna," as we call them in Hawaii, have legacies to share with us, their knowledge and their wisdom.

When I visit my family in Hawaii, I enjoy listening to my mom, uncles and aunties talk about their past. One question: "Uncle, what did you do when you were my age?" Then grab a pillow and a blanket, find a place on the floor, watch and listen. Twinkling eyes and symphonic gestures entertain the crowd as stories of long ago are recited to the next generation.

My idea of a dream job would be to record the stories of our Elders so that their wisdom can elevate the next generation. We must encourage our Elders to share their stories with us. Their wisdom is a gift. We would be wise to acknowledge our Elders and their stories so that their lives do not become "Buried Treasures."

This painting is dedicated to our "Elders," those who have gone before us, those who are our mentors, books that have inspired us, teachers who believed in our possibilities, parents who worked and saved so our lives can soar, friends who share . . . .

Enjoy,
Fannie

14 comments:

Fotf said...

You do beautiful faces :-)

Fantastic Figments said...

I love your bump in the night...

But I really enjoy the new post. I can always remember sitting around with my family and even today when I here a new story about the past it always intrigues me.

The new piece is great.. She has a little something about her.. (and no not the what about mary thing) more like an assured quality. Very interesting.. how much of the artist is coming through the painting (I think a lot)

Smooches Fannie
have a great weekend

Sherry said...

You, my Dear, are flying high! Another great piece and love the canvas edges. We must consult.

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi fannie!

i love this whole series of beautiful women you are creating. all i can say is wow!

xo
melissa

marianne said...

This is such a lovely piece!
And the story with it, perfect together! Beautiful!

Diana Evans said...

she is lovely Fannie!!! I love your paintings

Hugs
Diana

NANCY LEFKO said...

your art is magnificent, Fannie and just gets better every day....and your soul is so special and sincere....you are quite wise in what you say about our elders....

Jacq said...

Another wonderful post. Your art work is beautiful.

Janny said...

Beautiful pieve of work!

Scrappy Cat said...

This is so wonderful Fannie - it's both beautiful and meaningful. Can't get much better than that!

Roberta said...

Exquisite work Fannie...

quiltcrazygal said...

Oh Fannie, this work of art could not have touched me more than it is right now. Over the past few months I have noticed such a change in my parents, especially my Mother. I'm not sure I am ready to become the "parent". They are slowing down and I realize now how important it is for me to be understanding and provide comfort. They have so much wisdom and love. I want to enjoy every moment I can! The time I have with them is priceless. Thank you for sharing this wonderful message. I'm finally back. It's been such a busy time for me. I've missed my blogging friends and the opportunity to work on mine. I've posted some highlights I think you will enjoy! Bless you! Jenna Louise

Heather said...

Wow, this is really lovely. The colors are so rich- beautifuL~!~

Fannie said...

Thanks for your visits and for your encouraging comments, everyone. This painting is dedicated to all of you, friends who share . . . .