Saturday, October 11, 2008

Friends Help You Fly

Friends Help You Fly, Art Quilt, Fabric, 6" x 6"
© 2008 Fannie Narte
For Sale in My Etsy Shop

TRAINING FOR EXCELLENCE

The Olympics might be the ultimate contest. Athletes train from a very young age to become excellent in their sport. The choices they make are slightly different than everyday folks. Most of their waking hours are spent with their coaches perfecting their game. They practice instead of play. Besides fine tuning their skills, over time, they develop the power of focus and concentration.

GO FOR THE GOLD!

What is the appeal of the Olympics that causes athletes to voluntarily spend their physical energies and fleeting youth in pursuit of the gold? Is it for fame? For some, maybe. Is it for the thrill of victory, or the feeling of accomplishment . . . a conquest? These may be some of the reasons why Olympians are driven to go for the gold.

EVERYONE IS A WINNER

When I watch the Olympics, I cheer for every athlete. I want each of them to be successful. Oh, I know there can only be one winner, one gold medalist. I believe every Olympian is a winner just by their presence at the Olympics. To me, they’re all in a competition to determine who is the best athlete at that moment in time. What would be the outcome of the same competition if it were repeated again within a month after the Olympics? Would the outcome be the same, I wonder. Would the gold go to the same recipients? Is serendipity an element in determining the winners?

MARATHON RUNNERS

My daughters are marathon runners. Through them, I have experienced the feelings of triumph after hard work. In the final moments before crossing the finish line, I recall the preparation that brought them to that moment. I can imagine that their pain, insecurities, fears and uncertainties are masked by the presence of adrenalin, and the burst of success they feel as they take that last leap across the finish line. Although their medals are not gold, their success “feels” like gold.

ARE YOU A MARATHON RUNNER?

I think we are all runners—running away from something (our fears), or running towards something (our dreams).

WHAT ARE YOUR FEARS?

What are you running from? Do you have friends who encourage you to seek your truth? Do they fix your fears, or do they walk beside you as you walk through your fears? Are they there to celebrate your “overcoming”? I hope so.

WHAT ARE YOUR DREAMS?

What are you running towards? Do you have friends who cheer you through the finish line? Are they there for you when you’re “in training”? Are they there to celebrate with you? I hope so.

Friends Help You Fly!

Help your friends fly!
Fannie

5 comments:

NANCY LEFKO said...

this is gorgeous Fannie...what did you use for the words ?

Fannie said...

Hi, Nancy. I used a white gel pen. Hope you're enjoying your weekend. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to click those buttons. ;-D

laughingwolf said...

beautiful, thx fannie...

fears: uncertain future, esp for the young

dreams: for everyone to have enough food, shelter, warmth... and educational opportunities

Dawn said...

Stunning work!

Fannie said...

Thanks for sharing your dreams, LW. I share your hopes.

Dawn, nice to meet you! Thanks for looking.