Friday, October 10, 2008

Magical--WIP completed

Magical, Art Quilt, Fiber, 8" x 10"
© 2008 Fannie Narte
For Sale in My Etsy Shop

What comes to mind when you hear the word “magic”? When I was younger, Disneyland was a place of magic, and Cinderella, her pumpkin coach and glass slippers were magical.

FAITH AND SCIENCE

Perception changes with age and experience. The word “magic” was replaced with “miracle” when I became a mother. I believe the words “magic” and “miracle” are interrelated and separated by a thin line with faith on one side and science on the other.

MAGIC

"Magic” is the sound of birds chirping outside my window. It is the first signs of a seedling breaking through the fresh earth, feeling the gentle wind and warmth of the sun. Magic is the love I “sense” from my grandson when he hugs me after a nice visit making art and building cranes and ships with Legos. It is the yellow sticky notes that magically appear on my bathroom mirrors, my computer screen, my sewing machine, my working table, my journal page, and my purse carrying the simple message “I Love You.”

MAGICAL MEMORIES

The Motown rhythms of Smokey Robinson, the Temptations, Diana Ross and the Supremes magically transport baby-boomers to a time when bell bottoms and long- straight hair was “groovy,” and 45’s or albums were a significant component of the musical craze of “the day.”

What is your magic? What are your miracles?

MIRACLES

Most of my miracles happen each day. They silently appear and disappear without notice. The inhale and exhale of the breath, the ability to place one foot in front of the other in repeated sequences, the shocking sensation of the cold tile floor against bare feet—these are my miracles today.

BELIEVE

No one ever told me that I couldn’t sing; so I sang believing that I could, and I did.

NOISE

Have you noticed the noise that surrounds you? Well-meaning parents, relatives and friends advising you of what you should do, what you should be, what you should look like, what you should . . . . The media flood their opinions on the airwaves and in print looking for more converts.

BEAUTY LIVES IN OPPOSITES

There is beauty in noise. The noise of laughter is beautiful. Noise can also be distracting. The noise of confusion can be stifling.

SILENCE

If you listen for “silence,” the home of “peace” and “self-discovery,” you may find your brand of magic.

MIRACLES AND MAGIC

Miracles are found in “silence”—and that’s where “magic” appears.


There are miracles and magic in my life. I believe.
Fannie


Credits: The pink fabrics in the art quilt were hand painted by Pokey Bolton of Quilting Arts.

13 comments:

laughingwolf said...

lovely, all of it, fannie :)

my magic/miracles all happened while in the delivery room as my three children were born....

Lisa M Griffin said...

How lovely... now if I can only get some silence in my house then I would be able to journey into your magical realm. Thanks for sharing Fannie and have a great weekend.

Fannie said...

Children are definitely miracles, LW! Thanks for visiting.

Enjoy your weekend, too, Lisa! Find some magic. ;-D

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi fannie
oh what an amazing post. you really made my day today. you are magic!
xo
melissa

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

You are always so very inspiring and encouraging. I just love visiting this magical blog. You get to look at fabulous works of art and create magical moments. You are such a very kind person. There is so much more to you than your artwork. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and encouraging words.

Fannie said...

Hi, Melissa! Magic happens when you visit. Thanks! Have a great weekend.

Vanessa! Everyone's been celebrating your birthday! ;-D Sharing is enjoyable when I receive feedback such as yours. Thanks for taking the time to click those buttons. ;-D Have a magical weekend!

Fotf said...

Just stumbled across your blog, your pictures caught my eye and i loved reading about your magic and miracles. I will add you to my every growing list of blogs that i will look forward to viewing and reading, my inspiration and thought provokers.

quiltcrazygal said...

Magic is the little unexpected joys in life. A smile from a child or a couple married for over 50 years and still holding hands. Miracles are watching the ones you love beat the odds and survive unbelieveable circumstances. My FIL is doing so well, his experience was a miracle. We thank God everyday for guarding him and keeping him with us. Thank you for such a wonderful post. Hugs, Jenna Louise

morningDove said...

i love the magic hat and how hearts seem to be floating out or in to you. Better than pulling the bunny out, lol. this is a wonderful piece of art. thanks for sharing your thoughts.
The life of each one of my sons is a miracle; as God has protected each one during horrible circumstances.

Fannie said...

Fotf, welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. I'll journey to your blog and learn and be inspired. Your photo is beautiful and thought-provoking.

JL, I'm glad your FIL is improving. Thanks for sharing your magic, miracles and thoughts. From reading your blog posts, I see you are involved in several magical projects . . . inspiring, encouraging, loving . . . . Nice!

Hi, Dove. Yes, I imagine you notice those miracles in your life each day. Your sons have experienced much and are evidences of the miracles that surround us. Thanks for sharing your heart and your brand of magic with all of us.

Jacq said...

You quilt is wonderful with the hearts coming out of the hat. I to believe that science and faith are very much interrelated. My daughter is a biologist and her husband is a pastor. I love how they share that science and faith are alike and then how they are different.

mich said...

I love the way you've finished the object of her gaze. To me, it's the creativity of her mind, watching her own magic bean stalk growing.

Fannie said...

Hi, Jacq. Yes, hearts coming out of the hat. I snuck in some musical notes too. he, he. Your daughter and husband must have interesting and stimulating conversations. When opposites come together, they blend and make their own brand of musical magic. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Michele, I enjoy hearing your responses to my art. Your interpretations are wonderful. Our gazes can produce magic at times, no? Thanks for your inspiration and for stopping by.