Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Free to Be

Free to Be, Mixed Media Original Painting, 8" x 8"
© 2008 Fannie Narte
FOR SALE

Free to Be!

Do you want to be an artist?
Do you want to be a writer?
Would you like to own your own business?
Do you want to be married?
Do you wish to have children?
Do you yearn to go back to school?
Do you wish you could run free?

What do you want in your life? Who do you want to be?

SYMBOLS IN MY PAINTINGS

Book: Education, learning, teachable

Pillow: Comfort; a soft place to fall when things don't go right; represents family and friends who are your soft places to fall

Piano: You are the musician; you create your own path; you pick your music and sing your song

Geometric squares: represents people in your life who connect you to a larger world outside yourself; lives overlapping, intertwining, connecting us to each other.

Antique look: Age, wisdom, experience, memories, imperfections

You are free to be whoever you choose to be. Or maybe you just want to be left alone, to turn off the noises, to determine for yourself who you want to be. You're Free to Be!

This is an original mixed media painting on an 8" x 8" gallery profile (1-3/8"), 100% Cotton Duck canvas, with solid wood frame. It is hand-stretched and back stapled. The sides are painted black.

Her hair is textured with acrylic paints and gold leafing. Gold leafing was also applied to three of the geometric shapes.

Are you doing what you want to do? Are you free to Be?
Fannie

8 comments:

Lisa M Griffin said...

I am almost doing everything I want to do! =) What a lovely post... and so interesting with how you explained the symbolism, especially the geometric squares. Thanks for sharing.

Jacq said...

Your title reminds me of the song "Free to be you and me" My girls use to sing it when they were little and now I am sharing it with my grandchildren.

Sherry said...

Oh my, Fannie. She is absolutely beautiful. I love those lazy green eyes and you gave her "Peanut" hair. Oh how I wish it weren't time for Christmas shopping. I would scoop this one up. And Yes, because of you, I am being what I want to be. Thank you, My Dear Friend!!

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie...this piece is perfect!!! I want to be everything....heheheh....I am so loving all your work these days...so inpsirational and beautiful....

Hugs
Diana

Regina said...

I think this is my favorite of your lovely ladies. I haven't been commenting much lately because of time, but I have enjoyed and been inspired by your posts. Happy Thanksgiving.

Honor Bowden said...

Wow Fannie! The eyes in this piece are just gorgeous. I love that you shared your symbols with us. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving! x

marianne said...

What a great painting!
Love how the piano returns every time.
Interesting how you used all those symbols in your painting, thanks for explaining them, makes the piece even more beautiful

Dawn said...

Mesmerising!!!